airbrush problems

Hi Im using the top of the range Revell airbrush, cost me nowt but i think it was the £150ish top model.

Im using a can of air.

It has a push down and pull back trigger, when i do use it i only pushed it down to spray, when i pull back i cant see any differance.

Whats the pull back for, is this a double action airbrush i have heard about? i do have a badger 150 but i cant use that.

I wasnt happy with the amount of power that the paint came out at, i had already use a car paint to prime the 32nd Mig21 so thought i would lay a layer of silver, humbrol. it was a little too thinned i think. I really want to lower the pressure but i turned the top of the can and any less and no pressure at all, no inbetween.

Im thinking of putting a couple of thin green coats over silver and then scratching off the green, as can be seen on the real plane i put on the binary site cheers

Reply to
Jules

snipped-for-privacy@blueyonder.co.uk (Jules) wrote in :

The Revell Vario?

That doesn't sound right. Pushing down should open the air valve, and pulling back should release the paint.

I think the needle is in the wrong position.

  1. Remove the back end (the metal tube).
  2. Loosen the screw that holds the needle (at the back end of the body).
  3. Gently push the needle forward until you feel resistance. The needle tip is now pressed against the nozzle, blocking the paint flow.
  4. Pull the trigger back to make sure the needle still moves freely.
  5. Release the trigger and tighten the screw (from step 2).

If that doesn't help, check the needle and nozzle you're using. With my Revell Variom I got 3 nozzle sets. Using the small needle with the medium nozzle would give this same result. The tip of the needle should fit snugly in the nozzle.

Yeah, that happens when the needle is in the wrong place. If you position the needle correctly, you can regulate the amount of paint precisely.

Yeah, that's the problem with air cans. A compressor is better in this regard.

Reply to
Harro de Jong

Find a good small compressor air can's give out to quick and the pressure is not steady

Sounds like the locking screw has come loose open up the back of the airbrush and check the screw the locks the needle down.

That is a double action it allow for more paint to come out of the fluid nozzle by pulling back the needle creating a larger opening. If you are a beginer try to just use the mechanical adjustment. the double action can get away from you easily and ruin a paint job in an instant. Practice practice practice

Please refer to the first answer a regulator on the compressor will solve any problems with pressure. Hope this helps Cheers John Geigle

masterpiecemodels

Hi Jules You should give the Badger a try. I am using the 150 - as said, it requires some practice, but with thorough cleaning is very reliable and long life. A compressor is -in my opinion- an absolute must...incl. regulator of course....any pressure you want Ingo

*time is an enemy*
Reply to
Ingo Degenhardt

thanks i will remevber thatn goof adcvvie.

Reply to
Jules

thankjs, too pises to reaed it but cheers

Reply to
Jules

Either Jules has had one Boddington (or three) too many, or he's got a touch of the mungo fever... grins....

--- Stephen

Reply to
Stephen Tontoni

God know how many double vodkas i had...no food too, i was really at rock bottom last night/today.

Reply to
Jules

Ow... as long as it was fun, huh? Grins; I've NEVER been that drunk... (winks several times meaningfully)

--- Tontoni

Reply to
Stephen Tontoni

Not fun, i actually wasnt too drunk, just in the dark, laid on the sofa trying to type on the laptop was too easy when my eyes didnt work propery.

Reply to
Jules