Glue Types

Hi !

I am planning on building the 1/350 Musashi and 1/350 Titanic .

I plan to use photoetched accessories and figures ( sailors , passengers ) .

What are the types of glue I would need ?

Apparently there are 3 types . One for fine work etc What are they ?

Any ideas ?

thanks

Reply to
veritas

Most people who use photoetch use CA Glue (cyano-acrylate, very similar to Krazy glue etc). You can get very thin, thin, medium, thick, and very thick. This is about the density of the liquid and how quickly it sets up. Ultra thin sets very very quickly and is more of a challenge to apply. The thicker glues are good for gap filling.

I tend to use medium for nearly everything, and put it on sparingly. If I need it to set up faster, I apply accelerator on a toothpick.

Another option is epoxy. You can get a two-part 5 minute epoxy. It's stronger and will hold onto most materials while CA may not stick after it's cured, depending. But there's more prep time, it's much slower etc.

I'd use medium or thin PE for 1/350 scale figures. You can touch a LITTLE bit (that's important) of accelerator on a toothpick to the place you will glue. Apply CA glue to the feet of the figure, then put him where needed; it should set in seconds.

--- Tontoni

Reply to
Stephen Tontoni

What do you mean by PE ? Is it Polyethylene glue ?

Also , if the kit has air bubbles , what is usually done ?

And , lastly what is the best glue/putty for seams on the 2 pieces of the hull ?

Reply to
veritas

veritas wrote: : : I am planning on building the 1/350 Musashi and 1/350 Titanic . : I will assume the former is the Tamiya kit, the latter the Minicraft/Academy kit. : : I plan to use photoetched accessories and figures ( sailors , passengers ) . : PE == photoetch. I don't use CA glues for attaching PE if I can avoid it, because CA glues can create a "lip" around the base of the object. White glue can do the same thing. I perfer acrylic (as in Future) to apply watertight doors, ladders, deck chairs, etc. Unforutately, it is not good for railings, as it sets too slowly. : : What are the types of glue I would need ? : : Apparently there are 3 types . One for fine work etc What are they ? : Actually, there are 4. Don't forget good old white glues. You can google this group for recommendations on glues, as well as putties/fillers.

Bruce

Reply to
Bruce Burden