Best glue to temporarily mount figures on styrene ?

I plan to focus on getting the boxes and boxes of 1/35 figures built, to be painted and used someday. I know if I build them, put them in a bag and clip to the box art then drop them in a box, they will for sure never see the light of day

So I thought I would get some sheet styrene and mount the little buggers on the sheet so I can see what I have. And they can all look back at me and make me feel guilty. I have over 50 1/35 sets so I really have to get them built.

Best glue for this? Just need a little to get them to set on the sheets. Tube glue the best? I thought that CA would grab hold too much then I would have to work at getting them off. with tube glue I can just can add just enough to get them to stick while not bonding too strongly.

Craig

Reply to
Musicman59

I'd go with plain old elmers white glue. Or if it's just to look at, tack them in place with modeling putty.

Reply to
eyeball

thx. never thought of white glue. the guys could be glued there for years. they won't be moved at all so maybe white glue would work. I will give it a try. I hope to go through 3-4 boxes during the Super Bowl.

Craig

Reply to
Musicman59

It'll never work - ask any wargamer. There's a well known sequence: Purchase Prepare Assemble Prime/Undercoat Forget.

There are whole armies out there like that - some of them in my spare room...

A lot of them are white glued to temporary bases - when the rule system uses elements, its best to first rank up figures to see how they'll fit together on the permanent base, then put them on a temporary base at a much wider spacing for ease of painting (and co- ordinating/differentiating colours - more important with irregular/ barbarian/fantasy forces where you want to avoid uniformity). The MOST RECENT force I have in this state has been waiting 5 years for a simple paint job (but given they're mostly-naked Barbarians, I'm contemplating tattoos to improve the look, and that will be a bitch in 28mm scale...)

That's about 200+ figures? The new plastic Perry Miniatures 28mm Wars of the Roses figures are 40 per box, 1 box = 1 unit, and they haven't released the cavalry yet..

Regards,

Moramarth

Reply to
Moramarth

Oh, I feel so much better now. I think we all knew when we started buying and buying kits we were basically screwed. Good to know now that is official. :-)

Craig

Reply to
Musicman59

You get all the way to "Prime/Undercoat"? (looks at boxes of unprimed figures) My hat's off to you...

Reply to
Rob Kelk

I like to use a hot-melt glue gun for these tasks. The glue is rubbery, and cuts easily with a sharp knife, but holds well enough to be useful.

Cheers, Dave Ambrose

Reply to
Dave Ambrose

Not any more, and seldom even when I was more active in my hobbies. Now the sequence is: Purchase Open package and inspect contents Despair Set aside and try to forget (Surprisingly successful - approaching senility has it's advantages...) Find out about new product Repeat cycle

I've pretty much stopped going to shows, and given up my magazine subscriptions, but I can't cure the Stash Augmentation Disease... Why did Wargames Factory and Warrior Miniatures both have to release Multi-part hard plastic 28mm Celts where the bits are interchangeable???

Regards,

Moramarth

Reply to
Moramarth

From my previous post. Get SLUDGE from an artists' supplies shop.

From: PaPa Peng Date: Sun, 27 Dec 2009 04:50:09 -0800 (PST) Local: Sun, Dec 27 2009 5:50 am Subject: Re: ARM: Review - AFV Club 1/35 scale T-34 Model 1942 - Special Edition

To adhere small parts without scarring the plastic as would happen if regular plastic glue is used the adhesive I use is Acrylic Sludge <

> . Quote: "SLUDGE is the newest Tri-Art acrylic to hit the shelves. It is a by-product of acrylic paint manufacturing. It is the combination of the precipitated solids amassed from our wash water, which has then been re-processed into thick and thin acrylic paint formats."

Put a blob of SLUDGE on the part as well as on the surface it is to be attached to. It will take more than 10 minutes to dry somewhat. Therefore lay it level so that the part won't slide out of position. SLUDGE is exactly the same stuff as acrylic paint. It will dry into a thin meniscus that will be practically invisible. The best part is you can paint the small part to its finished colors then apply SLUDGE onto the painted surface. Sludge won't dissolve the paint or smear it. If you don't like the positioning of your part just pull it off (the adhesion is stronger than your think) and rub off the "skin." You may not even need to do this. The painted surfaces won't be affected. Then reapply to new position. SLUDGE is excellent for attaching small pre-painted parts like small arms, water canteens, bayonets, etc. to figures or boxes, tarps, bags, tools, etc. to armor vehicle surfaces.

The other excellent application is for attaching clear plastic cockpit canopies and windshields. SLUDGE won't fog the clear plastic and yet provides very strong adhesion. It will also fill paper thin gaps.

The final application is to adhere different materials to each other such as wood to metal to plastic to ceramics to paper. If that material can accept acrylic paint SLUDGE will adhere to it.

Reply to
PaPa Peng

I second the white glue. Hot water will weaken it, and the glue can be cleaned off. It does not dissolve into the styrene.

Reply to
Don Stauffer

snipped

Shalom.

Is this SLUDGE similar to Humbrol ClearFix?

Thanks and cheers from Peter

Reply to
Master Gunner

No idea what ClearFix is. Sludge is thick like hair mousse. ClearFix sound like Future Wax type solution.

Reply to
PaPa Peng

My guess is that they know you'll buy many sets and never finish any. Meanwhile their bank account grows. ;)

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad Modeller

Too damn true - and the kit manufacturers have known it for years! But my fate was sealed when the wargame boys realised they could cause me to revert to my childhood by having me build something plastic... AND THEN PLAY WITH IT!!!

At this rate I'll soon be back to Lego... (the big stuff, that is, not the freebie mini-kits that get given away at W H Smiths with vouchers from newspapers - I've done that already...)

The only flickering remnant of my modeller's identity is when I look at something like this <

and think "I could do something like that cheaper - where did I put that KV-1?"

Cheers,

Moramarth

Reply to
Moramarth

Yeah, I had a ball at the toy show in November and very little involved models. Let's just say that the Marx cavalry squad may have to be divided into two troops.

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr

Reply to
Mad Modeller