Aztek Airbrush

I'm only 13 years old and I am beginning to get good at making model cars and I was wondering if I should get a cheap $30 Aztek Airbrush (model A3208)to get a hang of airbrushing, or spend the extra cash and get a good $100 Paasch airbrush. Also I want to know about cleaning the airbrushes, is it as much a hassle as people say it is or is it fairly simple and stright forward? Basically I want to know if it is a good idea to spend all that money for an airbrush. And I have a compressor already so i'm ok there.

Reply to
kickmydog2003

Which $30 airbrush are you looking at?

The Azteks do clean up pretty easily, yes...

Reply to
EGMcCann

Reply to
Don Stauffer

I traded my Aztek for a Paasche VL and haven't looked back. The VL is a terrific brush, and I had several quality problems with the Azteks.

Cheers,

Reply to
David E. Young

Go for the double action; you'll outgrow the single action quickly and then you'll want to sell it and buy the DA. I did.

The Aztec cleans easily but not completely. It doesn't disassemble to the extent the Badger does; cleaning the Badger 150 takes less than five minutes.

Happy Badger 150 owner

The Keeper (of too much crap)

Reply to
Keeper

I'm not really an expert on airbrushes but I do read advice on it. One thing most expert modelers recommend is to avoid the cheap beginner ones and go for the intermediate level to expert since you tend to outgrow the cheaper ones. That means you may crave for a better quality airbrush as your skill evolves.

Regards,

Chad

Reply to
Chad

I've got a Paasche VL & an Iwata Eclipse & both clean easily in under

5 mins.

Chris

Reply to
Chris

I have the Paasche VL kit (paid about $60 US for it) then later bought an Iwata Eclipse HP-CS (paid about $100 for it ($90 plus hose)). I don't think I have used the Paasche once since I got the Iwata. The gravity-feed

1/3 ounce cup on the HP-CS is the right amount for one coat of paint on a 1/24 scale car body.

A couple of weeks ago I took my Eclipse to Coast Airbrush in Anaheim, California (just down the street from Disneyland!) for their teflon needle seal and I got the larger nozzle/needle setup while I was there. 0.5 mm nozzle, up from 0.35 mm nozzle) This makes it easier for gloss coats and lets me get plenty of paint volume at 7 psi. At that pressure, overspray is practically nil.

I like my Iwata Eclipse HP-CS so much that I spray my Tamiya lacquer sprays into bottles so I can airbrush them. I like it so much I was considering spending for one of their higher-end models, but further research shows them to be less appropriate for models -- smaller nozzle sizes designed for thinner paints and finer detail.

The Eclipse HP-CS is easier to clean up than the Paasche. The action is silky smooth.

Reply to
Scott Truesdell