Best Airbrush at Hobbylobby?

I know they carry the Iwata, Paasche, and Aztec. I already have an Iwata revolution. Is that the best airbrush they have at HobbyLobby?

Reply to
Jeff Barringer

Jeff;

The HL in N.Austin on Anderson Lane carries three versions of Iwata. Can't call the names at the moment but they are all double action. Prices from $199 and down.

MB

Reply to
Milton Bell

When I finally dumped my Aztec and got an Iwata, it was like stepping out of the night into the day.

Reply to
Charles Fox

Reply to
jimbol51

That's Sort of like comparing Timex and Rollex. They both keep reasonably accurate time.

MB

Reply to
Milton Bell

Iwatas and to a lesser extent the Badger and Paasches are finely engineered metal airbrushes. The metal will hold fine tolerances. The Aztec was an attempt to re-invent the wheel in plastic. The tips definitely need more cleaning than the manufacturer recommends. I've heard of some folks enjoying their's; I'm playing with one now and it's workable inside of certain restrictions but it's non metal construction means it's not going to hold up as an Iwata would. hth The Keeper

Reply to
The Keeper

This might be an understatment. My double action Aztek lasted less then a year before a little plastic piece indside the handle broke. I recently remade the part, in a sense. I keep it only because sometimes I still need the double action. But the tips get bent too easily and start shooting off to the side. I have to use some Kentucky windage to get the paint where I want it. I also like that it can use either a jar or gravity cup. The wood box was a nice touch though. It does keep the workbench a little more tidy.

Most of my spraying now is with a couple of OLD Sears airbrushes that I would guess are Badger reboxings. They are metal, dead beautiul to clean, have heft, and fewer moving parts. But, they are single action and no gravity feed. I am basicly looking to get a Paasch XL(?) double action. I like the open handle for pulling the needle to blow out the nozzle etc.

Rich

Reply to
Rich

I have been a fan of the Aztek since using one for the last 2 or three years (mind you its the only one I have used for years so its not much of a comparison). However, I have just boiught a Badger 150 as my Aztek has failed for the second time in a year. The pull back action has broken yet again. It appears that Ripmax in the UK don't fix them any more so I have to ship it back to testors in IL. I am told that there is a quick turn around - about 2 weeks. I will send it back to see what the service is like and report back.

If I could get into the body then I might be able to do something myself but it looks sealed to me.

I also have had issues with the nozzles and have come to the conclusion that they are a consumable. I stick to the grey nozzle and replace it every three months. Their idea of no cleaning is just not viable either - you do have to strip the nozzle down regularly to clean it.

David

Reply to
dnews

Yeah but I bet you couldn't strap that Aztec to the hull of a speedboat drive it around a bit and still have it spray paint ;)

Reply to
Jeff Barringer

"Rich" wrote in news:439d2e76$0$20139$ snipped-for-privacy@news.wanadoo.fr:

I love my Badgers. I have several, an old exteranl mix I don't use anymore,

2 200s, one set up fine one set up medium, a 150 and a 100 side feed. I only have one cup for the side feed and am not quite sure the best way to clean it yet. I got all at great discounts. I bought the heavy, solid handels for the 150s.

I like the way the feel and spray, I'm getting better with all, I'm really looking forward to doing some Luftwafee mottle camo. I may buy a top feed body, just the piece from Badger since I have enough tips and needles already.

I love 'em. All metal makes cleaning very easy. Lotta times I just break it down and toss all the metal parts in some clear brush cleaner, swish it around and let it sit. Q-tips and pipe cleaners are about all you need besides paper towels.

2 things, I should have fiven the side feed a little more thought before buying it, but I got a great deal on it on eBay, jut the brush otself but still nice. I've bought one cup but figure I'll need probably 2 more with one just for clear thinner to clean it. The color cups on the bottom feed can be a nuisance sometimes, they are at an odd angle and you have to be careful how you hold it. The jars are better in that they are more out of the way, BUT they stick down further (possible clearance problem) and they usually need more paint to work right (which is a problem for small jobs) and they are a bit more to clean than a cup. The top (actually gravity) feed looks to be reaaly the way to go for me, especially since the large cup appears to have a screw on lid and the shell doesn't appear to expensive considering all the other stuff I have.

My concern with the Aztec was fragility (I am very hard on tools sometimes) and a modest and possibly unfounded concern of the vulnerability of the plastic to solvents.

Frank

Reply to
Gray Ghost

Reply to
JDorsett

That is the *perfect* description!

I have an Aztec and a Paasche. I use the Aztec 90% of the time despite its shortcomings simply because it is easy to use and clean.

BTW Testors has dropped their Lifetime Guarranty for the Aztec if that tells you anything about how they view their own product. I had to make use of the Guarranty twice because of the aforementioned part in the trigger that breaks. Great customer service, but a pain nonetheless.

Art

Reply to
Art Murray

If you open the body of the Aztec you void the warranty.

Testors' customer service is usually excellent.

Art (who has returned his Aztec twice)

Reply to
Art Murray

I just looked at an Iwata Revolution, gravity feed, at HL and their price was $99.95. Use that 40% off coupon you can download and it's a really good price. BTW, there is a bottom feed version of the Revolution also. Same price.

MB

Reply to
Milton Bell

grey snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Gray Ghost) wrote in news:Xns972AEEBF9C4D0Wereofftoseethewizrd@216.196.97.136:

I totally agree. I have two badger 100's Top feeders. 1 with a medium cup and fine tip and 1 with a larger cup and medium tip. Also got them with the heavy handle. I can draw the finest lines with the fine tip and do the larger works with the medium one. No need for the Heavy Duty tip in my world.

They spray right, they don't need loads of paint (just a few drops from a brush), they feel/handle right and cleaning them is done in a breeze.

My story, cheers

Dennis

Reply to
me-me

Milton Bell wrote in news:BFC4479E.107C0%mbell6 @austin.rr.com:

Looks to me as a pretty close contender for my trusty old set of Badgers

100. I would go for the Gravity fed model.

Cheers,

Dennis

Reply to
me-me