Re: Aztec Airbrush.

I'm like to buy an airbrush. Wich i like to use for weathering.. and to

> color my models. > I got two options..the traditional.. With needels..etc..etc... > or the aztec..i think it's cheaper.. and has lifetime warrantee.. > > > I have no experience..with.airbrush for so far..And would like to know.if > aztec..is a good product and easy to use.. >

The Aztek is a good product and is easy to use however in the long run it will cost you. For the cost of an Aztek you could afford a high quality Iwata for less money $89.00 at

-vs- $99.00 for the Aztek. Also with the Aztek you'll have to frequently replace the nozzles ($8-$10 each), return the airbrush body at your expense(postage), and endure waiting for a replacement while your product collects dust. Not trying to sell you Iwata, its just that after I bought mine several years ago I haven't even looked at the Aztek. I purchased an Iwata Eclipse HP-BCS for $89.00 at DixieArt and the shipping was free! The quality is so good I haven't had to replace, fix, adjust, return anything in over 4 years! I'm actualy saving money by owning my Iwata. If you don't mind dealing with the Aztek's problems and hastles try one. Traditional airbrushes I recommend to you that are affordable and perform very well for modelling are as follows in order of personal preference and first-hand experience:

Iwata Eclipse Series HP-BCS, CS, SBS /Approx. $89.00

(versitile, user-friendly, high-quality, high-detail, high-performance, one-size does-it-all neddle/nozzles)

Badger 150 / Aprrox. $50.00, sets avail. at DixieArt.com (very affordable, easy to clean, good performance, extremely versitile)

Paasche-H Single Action /Approx. $30.00-complete sets avail. at DixieArt.com (most affordable, most versitile, user-friendly, easy to clean, easiest to maintain, very good performance with any paint, tough, reliable, consistant)

Greg Williams IPMS/Roscoe Turner Chapter Indianapolis IN.

Reply to
Greg Williams

I have a Badger, but things got a lot easier after I went Aztec. Just a casual modeler, not hard core. The badger was a pain in the ass to clean. And big deal on $9 for a new nozzle. Aztec is heartily recommended by this guy.

Reply to
tkozal

I've had my Aztek for... eh, must be about 5 years now. Maybe a bit longer. Went through tips quickly at first, 'til I learned to clean them.... no other problems since then. Absolutely love it.

The *only* thing I'd want another airbrush for is extremely fine lines - the Aztek's limited (from what I've been able to do, and may very well just be ME) as to how skinny of a line you can get.

Last thing - if you can, borrow someone's Aztek, Badger, etc. (or stop by) and see how they feel to you. It doesn't matter if it's the best brush in the world if you hate using it because of how it feels, because your hand cramps, etc. (FWIW, I find the A470 very comfortable.)

Reply to
EGMcCann

I used an A430 for six months; first airbrush. I replaced the body once, and toward the end there the trigger mechanism on the new body began to stick some. I clean my airbrushes meticulously, btw. About a month ago I got an unexpected great deal on a gently used Paasche VL, and love it. I'm especially glad I can completely disassemble the brush if needs be, and it just "feels better" in my hand. I'll be that thing lasts me decades.

But, I did some nice work with the A430, and have no real regrets.

Cheers,

Reply to
David E. Young

I've managed lines of less than 1mm with my Aztec which puts it on a par with my Paashe, Badger, Olympus or Iwata. I guess it's like anything the more you use it the easier it gets.

As for the comment about the Iwata being wonderful because you can use the same tip for all applications... Obviously the tip size you have works well for the applications the poster uses it for, but like most things one size defiantly does not fit all. The size of the tip will affect the characteristics of different paints, as far as atomisation and flow are concerned. Typically the coarser the pigments the larger the tip you will need to use (anyone who has tried to spray metallics through a very fine tip will find this out quite quickly). likewise different paint systems spray better through different sized tips. epoxies, polyurethanes,acrylics,enamels etc all have very different spraying properties and optimal results will only be achieved by using the correct equipment.

Reply to
Umineko

They will indeed last for decades, I have a VL and a VLS and I love em. had both about 24 years now and the only part I ever replaced was a tip I destroyed when it feel off my modelling bench.

Reply to
Umineko

Ok, this brings up a good question. Let's say we're working with ModelMaster Acryl paints and a Paasche VL. And, let's say we're a new VL user who's rapidly getting the hang of the brush. In general, what pressure setting/thin ratio/tip do you find "ideal"? My manual indicates the VL likes between 25 and 35 psi (I suppose that's "at the gun"), which I find a bit high for close detail work but perhaps that's just a flaw in my technique.

I'm just looking for anecdotal evidence that I can try, not hard-and-fast rules.

Cheers,

Reply to
David E. Young

I still say that asking what is the best airbrush is like asking what's the best beer, or even worse; which is best, Blondes, Brunettes or Redheads! Man, it's an individual's personal taste thing in the end.

Bill Shuey

Reply to
William H. Shuey

women are the best.

can't live with 'em. end of sentance. =al bundy

women, can't live with 'em, can't kill 'em.

-al bundy

Yeah! I still can't get used to Al Bundy as Joe friday! :-)

Bill Shuey

Reply to
William H. Shuey

what about popeye doyle?

Bill Shuey penned...

Could not agree more... I am an airbrushaholic (self confessed) guess it comes from being tied up in the paint industry. I have used and own most of the "well knowns" and in my opinion there is little to choose between them as far as performance goes, it's more a matter of what feels comfortable to the user. so in spite of the fact that I probably buy 2 or 3 new airbrushes a year I still find myself going back to my Old and trusted Paashe VL. it just feels comfortable. I wasn't trying to bag anyone out or anything either. Just pointing out that there are some advantages in being able to access a wider spectrum of tips, needle etc for airbrushing. at the end of the day however it all comes down to whatever works for you.

Reply to
Umineko