Need airbrush suggestion

I've gotten pretty good with spray cans and paint brushes and would like to take the next step and get an airbrush.

I'd like a good beginners airbrush. I generally make 1/48 scale planes and would like something that is good for fine details as well as general body painting.

Quick and easier setup/cleanup is important. If I have to spend alot of time fussing with the airbrush it won't get used. That's mostly why I've stuck with spray cans until now.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Neil

Reply to
foo

I'd start with a very basic single action, since your good with spray cans this will be an easy transition for you. I've got an old Binks which I inherited somewhere along the line, that I use almost on every kit I build, simple, reliable and easy to clean. Try a Badger 350 or some thing similar, don't get one of those el cheapos you find in the department stores. Get one that has the same basic design as a double action, in time you'll want to take that step and you will have the 'feel' for it already. Of course if your budget allows, you can use a double action as a single action mode. Why buy two when you can do everything with one. Like I stated, I have the Binks, a Paasche VL and recently took the step to purchase an Iwata Eclispe, all were worth the investment though it is hard to rationalize for some. Take the step, get an airbrush, you'll amaze yourself what you can do with it with a little practice. Besides, its FUN!

Hawkeye

Reply to
Hawkeye

As you are an airbrush beginner, I'd recommend a single-action rush. You may never need anything more. I've been using a Badger 200 for about 25 years now. Although I consider myself to be pretty handy with an airbrush, I've never felt the need to move up to a double-action brush.

Hope this helps.

Reply to
Enzo Matrix

If cost isn't a major issue, take a look at the Iwata HP-CS. Cleaning it is quite straightforward and it's easy to use after a little practice to get the hang of dual action.

Another good first brush is the Paasche H. Cleaning it is a little more involved - I find the bend in the color cup connection to take a lot of attention sometimes, but it shouldn't be enough to keep you from wanting to use it.

Of the two the Iwata will do better detail work.

BobbyG

Reply to
Bobby Galvez

(snip)

Scroll halfway down the page and check the Badger 350. I've been using mine for 22 years. Works great with everything but lacquers (internal o-ring goes bad with lacquer) but the thing's been bulletproof otherwise. And, it's not a huge outlay of cash to get started...

Frank Kranick

Reply to
Francis X. Kranick, Jr.

Well, that's why they make pipe cleaners and Q-Tips!!!

Seriously though - I have had my "H" for about 30 years. A great brush to begin with and versitile enough that it may be the only one you ever need.

I do, however, have a "VL" double action Paashe, but I use it only about 10% of the time. Then again, I generally don't do things that show off it's talents, like WWII German squiggle cammoflage. Most of what I do is USN aircraft 1911- present. Not a lot of need there for a fancy brush.

John Alger IPMS 10906 Charlotte Scale Modelers

Reply to
John