Making a square hole leather punch

Need to make something that punches out, in ~1/16" soft leather, a square hole, 3/8x3/8 or thereabouts. Ideally in one motion.

Was thinking about :

- making 4 blades and mounting them onto the carrier block. Upside: easy to resharpen

- same blades, but TIG welding them into perm square. Welding high- carbon steels is not much fun. Silver-soldering will anneal the edge, as pieces are so small.

Any advice ? :)

Reply to
rashid111

I think I'd buy a 3/8" mortising bit, and just take out the auger. They're easy to sharpen with a conical tool, cheap, and readily available.

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

How many do you intend to punch out? For a short run, get a square 3/8 tube, file on the inside to get sharp edges, casenite just the edge, stone a bit and you're done.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Mueller

Lloyd E. Sponenburgh wrote: > I think I'd buy a 3/8" mortising bit, ...

What he said. Or, if you're keen on making your own, make it like a mortising chisel: take 3/8 sq stock, drill a hole through it and use a die grinder/Dremel to put a conical shape on the inside. For onesey-twosey work you could even use mild steel.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Engelhardt

Folx,

thanx a bunch for the advices !

It is to be used for hundreds of holes, so I'd like it to last :) I will check out mortising chisels to see if they'd work for me. I do have Casenite and HT oven, so making my own from a square stock of mild steel is also doable .

Reply to
rashid111

Reply to
RoyJ

Mebbe a quick look at the heat treat schedule for HSS is in order, before rushing off in that particular direction.

Better would be to buy some high carbon stock and heat treat that, as it will only require a few minutes to do, rather than the day or so that it will take to cook HSS back to hardness.

Cheers Trevor Jones

Reply to
Trevor Jones

Get a piece of square tubing and give the end a pass all around with a MG 600 rod or soming similar... grind the edge on it and start punching. The MG 600 has a tensile of 180 K and will weld to anything. It is expensive but worth it to have a little around to repair tooling and any place where you need the strength and ability to weld to dis similar metals. A lot of punches are made that way out of 1018 and a facing around the edge. They are good for about 10k hits on softer steels.

John

Reply to
John

Hey Rashid,

Sounds like a job for a mortising attachment on your drill press.

Take care.

Brian Lawson, Bothwell, Ontario. XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Need to make something that punches out, in ~1/16" soft leather, a square hole, 3/8x3/8 or thereabouts. Ideally in one motion.

Reply to
Brian Lawson