Square hole in round piece?

Hello all

Sorry for the crosspost.
I need to make a small connector from a generator. Forgive me for not
using proper terms.
It is a connector pressed on to a cable, identical to a speedo cable
which allows this cable to be connected to a square shaft and ultimately
an overspeed switch.
It is shaped like a nut driver, 1/8" dia on one end to accept the cable,
and stepped up to 7/16" on the other. Total length is 1". The larger
end has a 5/16" square hole about 3/8"deep to accept the square shaft.
I work in a machine shop, but I only have basic milling and turning
experience. One thing I came up with, was after turning to proper size,
put in the mill, drill a small hole, and use a small end mill to square
up the hole. Other than that, I am fresh out of ideas.
Any suggestions appreciated
Cheers, Jason
Reply to
Jason
Jason snipped-for-privacy@removethisshaw.ca
wrt 1/8 cable to 7/16 square shaft coupling
Perhaps most importantly what you're asking is how to make a 7/16 square blind hole, 3/8 deep.
It always depends on the tools at hand. (I'm thinking that if you drilled through the center of the coupling blank 1/8, and then had a 7/16 counterbore with a 1/8 pilot for the start of the square-hole end, etc.)
But, drill a 7/16 bore on the end that's to be the square end by locating the hole with prick punch and then center punch, then drilling there first w/ a drill bit that will follow the center punch mark, and then enlarge with a 7/16 bit. File or chisel (with a cold chisel) the corners square (relatively), and you have it. At least that's one way.
If you get frustrated with filing to finish a blind hole, you could make a through hole in a 3/8 wide disk, and then solder/weld/screw it onto another part that would have the 1/8 bore for the cable.
You're ptobably going to need setscrews for both ends of the coupling. FM
Reply to
Fdmorrison
Buy a socket and weld it on. YOu can also buy a sleeve with a square internal hole. YOu could drill out the square hole round and cut out the corners with a small chisel or broach. YOu could make it oversize so the square fits in the round hole and heat it red hot and clamp it in a big vice or press with the proper external size two piece round die. Or buy the part from the factory.
John
Reply to
john
Jason wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@removethisshaw.ca:
punch broach? Take a square tool bit (hss) the appropriate size and grind a concave in one end. Drill the part to at least the diameter of the square, a bit more if the application allows. Use your press and press the tool bit down through the hole to broach it. Be careful, the bit can shatter. Might be best to encase it in a piece of tubing if you can fixture the part up.
Reply to
Anthony
I have had a number of occasions when a hole other than round was required, usually square or hex. What has worked for me is to machine a broaching tool.
The workpiece wil have a hole drilled as large as possible without intruding on the finished space. e.g. for a 1/8", square, drill a 1/8"D hole
The tool will be turned from drill rod to a diameter corresponding to the largest radius. e.g. for the above, 1.414*0.125 or 0.177 with a short region at the end turned down to form a pilot. In this case, 1/8". Do this turning with a *sharp* pointed cutter angled so as to undercut the larger part. This will leave some teeth on the final milled tool.
The necessary shape is then milled on the larger part. For squares, hexes etc. I use an inexpensive spin index and a 5C collet to hold the work piece.
This part is hardened and tempered and pressed into the work piece to cut square corners into the drilled round hole.
Ted
Reply to
Ted Edwards
This is a typical application for an EDM machine!
Reply to
Reto
I was gonna say, jobs like this one make our little solid-state unit back in the corner look pretty good.
Reply to
Charlie Gary
If I had one, I might go that way but am I correct in assuming that the electrodes are usually graphite? That is trully nasty stuff to machine, at least to clean up afterwards.
Ted
Reply to
Ted Edwards
You can use a die-sinker or a wire-machine. With the wire-machine you'll need typical brass-wire, well you won't get exact sharp inner edges, only an edge with the wire radius (+gap of last impulse setting) but this is often enough. With the die-sinker, graphite is only one type of electrode material, you could also use for example copper....
Reply to
Reto
Not *THAT* big of a deal. I cut them daily. It's very hard on tooling however, since it's so abrasive.
Reply to
Steve Mackay
Jason:
You could machine it like you suggested yourself, and then just plunge straight down in the corners (carefully - slow feed), to get rid of the end mill radius. The smaller the end mill you use to machine the pocket, and relieve the corners the more "flat area" you'll have to locate on the square shaft.
Reply to
BottleBob
Unless there's some particular reason for absolutely square corners, you could do it like people used to and relieve the corners with a larger diameter end mill. It cuts down a smidge on the contact area of the square, but not very much. Much easier than trying to mill a .0125" R corner 6" deep ....
Reply to
Excitable Boy