For gunner

I wonder if there's a sale waiting to happen here...

Jim

jim rozen

Small world, eh?

That's one of the very early ones, uses a variac and a variable resistor, ganged together to simultaneously adjust the armature voltage and the field current.

Jim

jim rozen

What are the specs on a unit like that?

I assume AC, is it a single phase or 3 phase controller?

0-240v? How many amps? Looks like two speed and forward reverse from that pict on ebay. I do a lot of work with electronics and motor control and was curious as to what type of setup this is.

thanx op

Reply to
V8TR4

I've had the older, and also the newer HLVH feed modules apart.

The older ones are driven off the control transformer, which gives single phase 120 volts AC. They have two circuits, one for field and one for armature. Both are run off of selenium bridge rectifiers and the field current is controlled via a large centralab ceramic potentiometer, with an extra resistor to make sure there is always some field current.

The pot is ganged with a variac, the variac's output goes to another selenium bridge rectifier and the dc from that goes to the brushes (armature) in the feed motor.

The circuit is set so that as the armature voltage decreases, the field strength increases. This is how hardinge achieves torque at low speed for their older feed motors.

The newer ones use an SCR and control the armature voltage with a feedback circuit that effectively senses the armature speed by watching the back emf. The field current is set at a constant value.

The older feed modules are quite bulletproof, compared to the newer ones.

Jim

jim rozen

Jim,

Thanks for your xlnt description. Seems pretty basic, just HD parts. Hence why the new stuff is more tempremental

Reply to
V8TR4

Sounds like a ticket for breaking a noise ordinance would be most appropriate.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Reply to
Charles A. Sherwood

The weakly Whirled News factually-challenged? Have you always had that gift for understatement? :)

Reply to
John Husvar

(snip)

You do no service by promulgating this sort of crap. If your sit requiresbeing armed, then be armed. Others can and will make their own decisions appropriate to their situations regardless of your bleating.

Responsible men and women own guns and are skilled in their use as necessary under their circumstances.

Reply to
Don Foreman

Hey! It's a fun story! Who is supposed to not be serviced in your mind anyway? Lighten up!

No one is talking about forming a lynching party!

As we all do!

Enough of the commercials already.

Reply to
Carl

OK, sorry. My concern was that such stories might encourage fools that shooting people is as trivial as it is portrayed to be on TV and in electronic games.

Here in MN we've just recently had a couple of events where civilians were killed by gunfire by misguided people: one a squabble over a deer stand in adjacent WS and another in a school on an Indian reservation. I admit to being a bit twitchy about trivialization of shooting people. It is not a joke.

Lynching is a mob-hysterical group event. Mutilation by gunfire is one-on-one with individual accountability for rounds fired that hit. In civilian life, responsibility follows the bullet.

It wasn't meant to be a commerical. I omitted explicitly appending "or not" because it's implicit in "as necessary....."

Since you missed that inference, might others misconstrue the vigilante granny bit? QED....

Reply to
Don Foreman

Thank you Don. I know a lot of bad stuff goes on. Not sure why or how to stop it. We just come to live with it.

Carl

What you posted does not qualify as meaningful information.

Ignoramus19198

BIIIGG snip.

Amen

Reply to
Tom Wait

True, but it does qualify as decent propaganda. The only thing wrong with it though is that it failed to use the word "victory" enough. According to the research Bush is getting from a Midwestern university the word victory has been shown to be highly impressive to the American public. Keep that in mind next time you hear from the Bush surrogates. Pay particular attention to how many times they use the word victory in their statements. It'll be a lot.

Hawke

Reply to
Hawke

Ah, so I was correct. The spinmeisters realized that the US public wants pretty girls being kissed by servicemen in times square.

VJ day.

VE day.

Now it's gonna be VI day.

Any day now.

Jim

Reply to
jim rozen

Actually..it does. However..Leftists will go into the full fetal position, and start sucking their thumbs when they realize that all the spew they have been emitting, has been Leftists lies from an organization that cares NOTHING about America, but only its return to a position of power.

That is..the honest leftists..which is pretty much an oxymoron. If they were honest..they wouldnt be Leftists.

Shrug

Gunner

Gunner Asch

Hmm, 'cares nothing about america.'

That maybe sounds like that guy from the Cato Institute, who was taking money from that guy Abromoff to write spin and call it research.

They only care about the dollar it seems.

Now what really drives me into the fetal position is knowing that our president told the NSA that it's just fine and dandy to wiretap US citizens without getting a warrant before doing so.

Unfortunatly for him it seems like the powers that be in the senate aren't too happy about those shenanigans. Some of the republicans too, oddly enough. So unhappy in fact that they put the kibosh on that USAPATRIOT act to spank him a bit.

Should we really be securing democtratic freedoms for the citizens of Iraq at the exact same time we're stripping them from US citizens?

Jim

Reply to
jim rozen

See FISA court. And 72 hours. Then get back to me, ok?

They put the kibosh on him, based on fatally flawed (and intentionally spun) statements by the Anti-Bush bunch.

Please read the PA in its entirety. Also note who signed and voted for it.

Google FISA, Gorlick Wall, and Carnivore and Echelon.

also "able danger"

Then get back to me.

A helping hint....

Gunner

Gunner Asch

You take one lousy week off to join Thorax at the Elvis concert, and this is what happens: Gunner Asch writes on Sun, 18 Dec

2005 09:56:55 GMT in rec.crafts.metalworking :

What drives me nuts is the arrogance of the Time editorial board to reveal Government secrets, the revelation of which help no Americans, and warn America's enemies.

Yet the Press continues to wonder why people don't buy their papers anymore, or why they can't get any respect from the rubes.

tschus pyotr

Reply to
pyotr filipivich