Odors from Running a Mini Lathe

Hi all: As I have mentioned here before, I am looking to buy a mini lathe. I am thinking of putting it in my basement. This may seem like a silly question/topic but does the use of these lathes cause various odors (burning or oil like smell) that will permiate my house.

My wife and daughter (and pet bird) may not like unusual odors to linger. Actually, the pet bird could die from certain vapors. I could put the lathe in my unheated garage, but I'd rather not. Robert

Reply to
Finite Guy

Without knowing the sensitivity of the people in question, it's hard to give you a good answer. Sulfur-based cutting oils can have a strong odor even when cold and when you take a hard cut with them it just gets worse. My wife has never complained about it though. On the other hand, she hates it when my clothes get permeated with the smell of WD-40 from milling aluminum.

One thing I've tried is using peanut oil for a cutting fluid. It's not as good as a proper cutting fluid, but it does work and nobody complains about the smell of roasting peanuts. Lard oil is another possibility. If you are tidy, your shop will smell faintly like frying bacon. If not, rancid pig fat (:

Reply to
Jim Stewart

Install an old range hood over the lathe and vent it outdoors.

Reply to
Randy Replogle

Jim

I also dislike the smell of kerosene or WD40. For milling aluminum I use smokeless lamp oil from the hardware store, about $5 for half gallon. Near as I can tell, it is desented kerosene.

Michael no xx's in address

Reply to
Michael Cameron

Reply to
Grant Erwin

Don't overlook the likelyhood that chips and shavings will eventually find their way into the house. My basement shop days ended due to this. I was careful enough to change shoes before coming back upstairs, but chips still found their way into the house.

Dave

Reply to
Dave Ficken

I got the 30K in machines and tooling, but it cost me twice that in house remodeling and new furniture, and ... and... and...

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

Furniture? What's furniture? Oh right, stuff you sit on, that doesn't have cutting oil on it!

I know we've purchased exactly *one* new piece of furniture, ever, in our marriage. Our present kitchen table.

On thread topic - the only strange odors in my shop happen when I eat lunch at taco bell. Then I have to sleep down there, or sometimes I even get banished to the garage....

Jim

jim rozen

That hot-oil smell is one of the best things about being in a machine shop. It's not the lathe that smells, it's the work you do with it that makes the smell.

Reply to
random

What are you? Man or mouse, tell the wife your having a lathe, if she dont like it tell her to sling her hook and take the kid as for the bird put it outside where it belongs. Regards Rocky

Reply to
Rocky

I tried that. It was met with a pretty hostile response:

And yes that is the love of my life. And no, I would not advise talking to her in that tone of voice if you come around here...

:^)

Jim

jim rozen

BIG SNIP

So.... Second job?? Is this your Ebay item then??

Take care.

Brian Lawson, Bothwell, Ontario. XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Reply to
Brian Lawson

Nope. Couldn't be.

It would have to be the 30 gallon trash bag size!

Jim

jim rozen

Reply to
Glenn Ashmore

As well his hit counter shows 14000 hits.

Now two bids for every 14000 hits means statistically that for every

7000 people one person is interested in buying a bag of farts.

So potential American fart buyers works out to

240,000,000 / 7,000 = 32,485 customers
Reply to
Burritos n' Cheese

Hey Glenn,

Probably his mother and an old frat buddy.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX >The thing is he has two bids already! And you guys thought the Beanie

Reply to
Brian Lawson