TIG welding versus a VFD on the lathe

The rearrangement of my garage to allow my wife to park her car, has been successful. Not only can she park her SUV, but I also arranged
everything on my side very nicely, in a gentlemanly fashion, with supplies nearly organized in toolboxes and cabinets, nice approach area next to all machines, etc. No piles of crap and unsold merchandize on the floor.
I generally want to scale way down on mechanical stuff and especially ebaying, and to do more programming for algebra.com.
My current question is about putting a welding table on wheels next to a lathe with a VFD. I am concerned that any contact between them while welding, may mean that I would zap the VFD with high frequency.
The lathe is grounded by means of a ground wire.
I am thinking, for safety, to put a sheet of plywood between them. Am I on the right track or wrong?

I have a post with a plate on the bottom that I bolt in to lead anchors in the floor when I need to weld or need the big vise with clearance around the table. Use either light railroad rail of a big pipe for the post and you can even but the anvil on top. The top of the post has a small plate that I can bolt a larger plate to when needed.
After visiting my neighborhood fab shop and seeing that they were rebuilding after a fire caused by a spark that went unnoticed, I would not look kindly on a combustable barrier.
Pete Stanaitis --------------------
Ignoramus15216 wrote:

Looks like a useful site for kids. I always worry that folks have trouble navigating to the good stuff. On the pre algebra link---- I developed a one-page fractions flowchart for my kids back in the -70's when they were having trouble with fractions---. When the oldest asked me for help and I tried to use the book, there was no place that outlined the process so you could see where the heck you were in the process. It's ancient, but it's at:
http://www.spaco.org/fra.htm
Pete Stanaitis ----------------------
Ignoramus15216 wrote:
<snip>

Ignoramus15216 wrote:

Use good double locking casters on the welding table. Use a dedicated ground line on the welding table. If you really want insulation on the lathe, try the self adhesive mylar sheets found at office supply places as simple thin insulation. Also remember that VFDs are designed for industrial environments and should be pretty well protected.

Yes, perhaps I am overreacting. VFD and the motor that it is connected to, at all well grounded to the body of the lathe, and the lathe itself is grounded too. So I would not expect a big potential between, say, VFD and the motor or VFD and the lathe body or VFD and ground.
Ignoramus15216 wrote:

Wife's car in the garage? The whole idea here is that cars do not need to sleep in a garage taking up shop space. Usually what is done is to slowly encroach on the wife's side of the garage untill she finds it more convinent to ceed real estate than to insist on parking a car inside your shop.
Another option is to get a bigger shop.
Roger Shoaf

What happened is that I gave up selling on ebay. The reason for this is that reselling anything on ebay is an extremely stupid way to spend my time, compared to working on algebra.com.
That allowed me to clean up all the unsold stuff, stuff being repaired or to be repaired, cleaned etc. I dumped lots of pounds of scrap metal, etc.
Dumping it all and acquiring some extra cabinets, allowed me to reorganize, clean up etc. My half looks clean, what I need is accessible, and the machines I have (Clausing lathe, Bridgeport Interact, welder and misc grinders) fit fine, I am basically happy for now. I put all shop projects on hold and will be doing computer stuff for the foreseeable future, aside possibly from some minor distractions.
RS at work wrote:

Or build her a garage all her own. ;-)
Cheers! Rich
On 10/17/2010 9:17 PM, Ignoramus15216 wrote:

If the mill is well grounded, the hf is probably not a great danger to your VFD. However, good workshop practice would call for the use of a welding curtain to contain the welding light and sparks. Pull the curtain and you insulate the mill as a side effect. When you have finished welding, push the curtain against the wall out of the way.
Kevin Gallimore
On Sun, 17 Oct 2010 20:17:07 -0500, Ignoramus15216

I put wheels on welding table, grinding table (has two grinders on it), ac 225 lincolin welder (this one is smaller than tomb stone, tired of moving that beast!!) I need a 3 car garage. Lath and mill are not mobile yet, there sort of a beast too!!
Had to get rid of metal along side of garage...wife...wife...
The scrap place is right next to where I get most of my metal. I dropped off an old round column mill and old 9x20 lath there, along with 500 pounds of steel.
xman