VFD or Static phase converter on Clausing 1301

I brought home a Clausing 1301 lathe not long ago as a new addtion to the home shop. It has a Doer 5hp 2 speed 208V 3ph motor. It runs fine off the the 15hp phase converter I have for the larger lathe and mill, but where I want to put it in the shop I don't have any 3 phase wiring installed. There is a 220V 1phase outlet in place but I can't find any 5hp 1 phase to 3 phase VFD's for less than ~800 bucks. Since I'm not going full load a static converter would be fine -but apparently they won't work on two speed motors. Anyone try this with success? I'm also worried about using a VFD with a non VFD rated motor, since this motor is a special mount ie. v exp to replace.

Reply to
oldjag

William Noble

Almost all VFDs in this size range will operate on single phase, regardless of whether or not they're rated for single phase input, though it's considered wise to derate the drive when doing so. If it were my lathe, I'd be comfortable with a 7.5HP drive.

For example...

have no idea whether that specific drive is suitable. The most obvious bit of missing info is whether it's a 230 or 460 volt unit. Most mfrs have manuals and full specs online.

I've tried it *without* success. One of my lathes has a 2-speed motor, and it was not happy with a static converter.

Unless it's a very old motor, I wouldn't be concerned.

Reply to
Ned Simmons

VFDs and two speed motors don't play well together IIRC.

GWE

Reply to
Grant Erwin

VFD's do not work well with a switch between the VFD and the motor. If you are very careful, and never switch the motor speed switch, while the VFD is powering the motor, you may be OK. That said, my motor supplier claims that any NON-VFD rated motor will always fail, sooner or later. I have had no failures, yet.

I have 2 VFD's working fine, I love them. One on a VFD rated motor, one not. Dave

Reply to
Mechanical Magic

If the motor is a 220/440 V motor, it has heavier insulation, and will last longer with a VFD. You can also put in a set of inductors to reduce the high voltage spikes reaching the motor.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

I am not an expert in VFD - but they vary the frequency to change the speed. Some motors are designed for just that and have special alloy metal. Older and non-vfd types respond differently to other than 60 or

50 Hz - the base frequency they were designed for.

Mart> Mechanical Magic wrote:

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn