Is it possible Static Phase converter for 3 phase Welder?

Will a Static phase converter work with a 3 phase welder? If so how big a phase converter would I need for a 300-400 amp welder?
Bob
robert.lapoint wrote: Will a Static phase converter work with a 3 phase welder? (clip) ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Gary Coffman wrote: No. A static "converter" is really just a capacitor starting method to allow a 3 ph motor to start and run on 1 ph power(clip) ^^^^^^^^^^^^^ For what it's worth, my wood lathe is driven by a 3 phase motor, but the lathe is connected to 220v single phase. The controller converts in input power to 3 phase, with controlled frequency for speed control.
From that I would conclude that for a lot less money it would be possible to make 3 phase 60 cycle from single phase 60 cycle, and run your welder.