static phase converter question

I've just purchased a Phase a Matic static converter, which is really just an automatic start cap set up. It has no run caps. What is the benefit of
adding run caps, given that I don't plan to initially add an idler motor? My feeling is that I will shunt some current to the third leg, balancing things a bit better and gain some power from the motor, but I don't know how to quantify this. Any advice?
Brian

    I've never done this, but I suspect that it would add some improvement to the behavior for forward running, at the cost of making reverse operation less powerful -- though it would not add *nearly* as much benefit as you would get with a larger motor as an idler -- and it *might* confuse the Phase-O-Matic enough so that it might not start properly.
    At a minimum, I would consider a power-factor tuning capacitor might reduce nuisance circuit-breaker trips, if you are close to the capacity of the existing circuit breaker.
    Good Luck,         DoN.
http://www.metalwebnews.com/howto/ph-conv/ph-conv.html
http://www.metalwebnews.com/howto/ph-conv/ph-conv.html