static to rotary phase converter?

I have a 5hp static phase converter.If I connect this up to a suitable 3 phase motor with no load and then take output from that will I then
be able to use it as a rotary converter? If so are there any drawbacks to this approach?
thanks,
paul
snipped-for-privacy@johnbeddoes.org (warrenengineering) wrote in message

It's been covered before in this group and others, so search google groups.
For example, a 5hp static converter will start a 5hp idler. Once it's up to speed, the idler will use a few hundred watts (I think!) leaving about 4.5hp available for a machine; the purity of the 3 phase will probably decrease if you use more than 3hp of this. The other drawback is when just the idler is going, you're back to the static converter scenario but with insufficient loading, so it may get hot.
Guy