Cement mixer motor

I bought a hefty cement mixer recently. An old one with lots of steel, even steel wheels. It needs a motor. The drum is pretty good sized, about twice
or more what those little ones at HD are. Got the big solid steel ring gear teeth, not the CNC stamped ring.
What sized motor and type should I use? Should I get a reversible one? Thermal protected? Anyone got one laying around like that which would fit in a Priority Mail Flat Rate box?
Steve
On Sun, 30 May 2010 09:32:08 -0700, "Steve B"

Unless you can store it inside..an open frame motor is out. So a TEFC motor is actually what you want for best life. Any idea of the HP thats on it now?..or is it gone?
Probably...maybe had a 1hp motor on it and they are pretty common. Finding a used one should be easy. Craigslist, used motor places...etc.
Might cost you $35-50 at most, plus the price of a pulley and belt(s)
I cant see the benefits of a reversable one though Ive seen em on BIG mixers
Gunner
--

"First Law of Leftist Debate

IIRC, the guy said a one horse came off it. I'll post some pics, as it is a classy piece of iron. Heavy iron. I want to keep the steel wheels that are on there, but I also want to put a tongue on it, and some rubber wheels so I can move it around the property with the ATV.
Steve

Figure a 1HP TENV reversible for a 6cu.ft. mixer (that's what Stone Equipment puts on their electric 6cu.ft. jobs).
Who would run a motor under an unpredictable load without some form of overload protection?
Now you have to figure out the volume of the mixer -- get out the solid geometry books...
LLoyd

When I get it off the trailer, a couple of braces need to be welded, and a couple of things done to it. I will provide dimensions, and I am sure someone will be able to do the calcs on it.
Steve

Steve, I would put a gas engine on it for a couple of reasons. First, variable speed is nice with a mixer as you can slow it down when adding mix ,(I do not enjoy inhaling concrete dust especially the aggregate as those rocks really hurt) Second, it is also nice to control the rotation speed when your are pouring as it helps prevent splashing the mix around. I tend to slow down the mixer when starting the pour and speeding it up as the drum gets empty.
Also, I have found that while I never intended to use the mixer away from a power source ... well you know how that goes.
I have a Stowe 6 yard mixer and it has an 8 horse Honda that seems to work fine.
Just my two cents.

A one-bag mixer should have a 3hp B&S motor or (better) a diesel motor of the same sort of capacity. Run all day and not worry about a bit of weather :-)
Reversible won't add any value to a mixer unless it has a scroll like a cement truck does.
Mark Rand RTFM
About 20 years ago, I found an old Sears 1 bag mixer in a grove. It didn't have a motor. I put a 1/2 hp electric on it. With the mixer, my family and I, SWMBO, a 10 yr. old, a 7 year old and a 4 year old, poured a 2 car driveway, a sidewalk, and a sideyard patio. It worked so well we were lucky to have any grass left in the yard. I knew it was time to dial back when the 4 year old knew the recipe for concrete. These days, I've shaken the concrete addiction, but I still use it now and then to pour pads for AC units and such. The motor will run the mixer all day if necessary w/o overheating - I've sheaved it to about 370 rpm. The sizing was was not high tech - just tech: the mixer had a 14 inch sheave and I had a 3 inch in the junk box. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. I mounted the motor on a piece of plywood. With a spring and a couple of pins, I can mount / remove it in seconds. The mixer sits outside and the motor and belt goes to the basement when not needed.
Steve H