Thinning Tamiya cement.

Like a fool, I left the lid off my bottle of Tamiya liquid cement last time I used it and now its pretty gooey. Still liquid, just, but very thick. What could I use to thin it back to its working consistency? Advice appreciated.

Reply to
donut

It's simpler just to replace it with fresh cement and pitch the original. There's practically nothing to be gained in thinning the old stuff.

MB

Reply to
Milton Bell

Yeah, guess so. Just me being tight. It was almost a whole new bottle, sob.

Reply to
donut

"donut" wrote in news:H5Enf.51206$ snipped-for-privacy@fe3.news.blueyonder.co.uk:

You can still use the older, thicker stuff for glueing the somewhat gappier joints.

Dennis

Reply to
me-me

The thinner IS the cement. It's a solvent. The rest is just dissolved plastic to give it a little body.

Reply to
Gerald Owens

One of the first issues of FSM gave a formulation for making your own glue. Testors said we can't advertise in your magazine with these types of articles; I can't blame them. Laquer thinner or acetone may help thin your cement, unless you can find toluol. hth The Keeper

Reply to
The Keeper

Am 13 Dec 2005 15:46:47 -0800 schrieb "The Keeper":

Don't use toluol - it is (imho) a bit too aggressive to your health. and nearly all lacqer thinners need much too long time to cure, and so will 'eat' your models

The best working self made thin and fast polystyrene glue I ever had, was a bottle of chloroform with some clear PS and SAN (sprues from modelling trash) dissolved within, so it couldn't dissolve too much of the model while curing :-)))

BTW: DO NOT sniff at the bottle - else you will soon become addict to it, and your liver (and other organs, too) will suffer seriously.

cu, ZiLi aka HKZL (Heinrich Zinndorf-Linker)

Reply to
spam-trash

Thanks for all the advice. Guess what I`ll try first is buying a new bottle and using some of that to thin the old stuff down. Problem is, I can`t buy the cement locally so I have to get it online and the postage is more than the cost of the glue so I usually end up buying a couple of kits as well to make it worthwhile and... wait, that`s a good thing, innit?

Reply to
donut

Vollmer Plastic Cement uses toluol. Testors uses Methyl Ethyl Ketome (MEK). Tenax (and few others) use Methylene Chloride.

They are all nasty chemicals, but we still use them (in ventilated rooms, I hope).

Plastruct Cement used to be made with Chloroform, but they've changed the formula. Chloroform is not all the healthy either...

Peteski

Reply to
Peter W.