Kind of OT--- How do you measure the drum capacity of a cement mixer?

I have a freshly painted and tuned cement mixer I want to sell but I don't know how to accurately describe it. I see mixers offered as 1/2 sack mixers, etc. but how is the capacity computed. The drum on mine would probably hold a quarter yard of cement at water level but I don't think the 5 HP Briggs & Straton would turn it if the bearing held up. Leigh at MarMachine

Reply to
CATRUCKMAN

A 'standard' concrete mix is 6 sacks per cubic yard of aggregate. A half sack mixer will handle 1/12 cubic yard, or 2.25 cubic feet. This is not quite 17 gallons of water equivalent. Bugs

Reply to
Bugs

I think you're confusing a concrete mixer with a cement mixer. The mixer you have is most likley for bricklayers or plasters. A concrete mixer, even a small one, would be much larger. Sorry, don't know how to size it.

Reply to
Gary Brady

That is some help but how full would you fill the mixer to measure the capacity. I'd guess about half way but that is a guess. Leigh

Reply to
CATRUCKMAN

I'd say to the lip while in the normal mixing direction - to the lip and under. I have one also and have no idea what size it is - Dad gave it to younger brother who brought it to us. I hope it is more than scrap iron at this point - paint is long gone.

snipped-for-privacy@AOL.COM wrote:

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn