Way to mix concrete without a cement mixer

I have some projects at home for which I am wanting to make my own concrete with Portland cement, gravel, sand, and of course water. I need a fair amo unt of concrete but not all at one time. I don't have a cement mixer and it would be a pain to rent one every time because I cant do all these project s in one day or even a weekend. I am wanting to pur a footer along my drive way to make a brick boarder, and I also have some concrete edging I want to make.

Is there anything without too much trouble I could fab together that would be relatively in expensive?

I wondered if a 55 gallon drum and a tractor post hole digger for a mixer w ould work?

Any help is appreciated!

Reply to
stryped

I'd suggest if can't find a loaner from a friend/neighbor/acquaintance to just buy one of the cheapies from HF or the like and plan on reselling it when you're done (if you don't find it useful enough to just keep)

Reply to
dpb

Is there anything without too much trouble I could fab together that would be relatively in expensive?

I wondered if a 55 gallon drum and a tractor post hole digger for a mixer would work?

Any help is appreciated!

=================

My father made quite a bit of concrete in a large wheelbarrow with a shovel. IIRC he mixed the dry ingrediants fairly well before adding water.

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

I built a concrete patio that way when I was 14. It was 10 feet by 16 feet, and (nominally) 4 inches thick. It took me four days, if I recall correctly.

I do not recommend it for anything that large. To stabilize a basketball net or to make a base for rocks around a garden, it's OK -- I still do it that way. I've used the same method for my ferrocement experiments.

But for anything large, it's backbreaking.

BTW, a big mortar box is better, because the wheelbarrow is too high.

Reply to
Ed Huntress

Or look on Craigslist for someone who's just done that.

I don't know if it's just a Hawaii thing, but in one "This Old House" episode they bought concrete where you picked it up at the plant in a mixer-trailer, then brought the trailer back when you were done.

If it's a BIG job, it may be cheapest to just have a concrete truck come out.

Reply to
Tim Wescott

I've heard that in some parts of New Jersey you can see cement mixers used as contractor-chic lawn ornaments.

-jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

It's confined mostly to people who are connected. If you see a pair of rubber molds alongside of the mixer, shaped like huge boots, that's what it is.

Reply to
Ed Huntress

Just last week I tried to convince my wife that we needed a cement mixer and that this one would be a nice lawn ornament when not in use. She's skeptical.

Ned Simmons

stryped fired this volley in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

What's the matter with doing it the way 'short jobs' were done for many decades? Use a mortar box (which you can build with plywood and some

2x6s, and a mixing hoe (A LARGE hoe with two holes in the blade to aid in mixing the mud).

I still do 1/4-1/2 yard jobs that way, and I'm "an old guy". You won't find me mixing a full yard with a hoe; too much work. We have a local 'small job' company that sports a 3-1/2 yard mixer truck.

Lloyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

by the time you come up with a way to mix it thoroughly and handle/dump it, you could easily buy a small used one or even a new one from HF Item #67536 3 cu ft $199.99 Grab a 20-25% off coupon and take it home for 150+tax. Will make mixing MUCH easier. Clean it well after each use, grease it good and toss a tarp over it when not in use and you can expect it to be there as long as you need it.

Reply to
Steve W.

Either a box and a mason's hoe, or buy a mixer. I got a decent used one for $50 and $10 or so in gas money via craigslist - otherwise the new/plastic jobbies are pretty cheap new (and pretty cheap, in the "not to be confused with inexpensive" sense, but probably more reliable than whatever silliness you are contemplating with a 55 gallon drum.)

The box and hoe can be quite effective if you learn to use them correctly.

Reply to
Ecnerwal

Contractor's wheelbarrow, and a mixing hoe. I've mix a lot of small batches in one.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

I did not realize there was a certain way to mix it in a box. I assumed you just turned everything over with a shovel until it looked consistant. Sort of like you do with pre mix.

Reply to
stryped

snipped-for-privacy@rosenthalmn.com fired this volley in news:c9907210-27e5-4d9c-a6e1- snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

Nice toy. I have one for mixing pyrotechic compositions, but it's nigh-on to useless for any concrete job. Seven gallons is just a shade less than a cubic foot of mud, and you can't fill the OddJob mixer full, or it doesn't mix.

Lloyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

I'd go with buy the mixer and sell when done with. It won't take a big pour and the materials would cost more than a new mixer, at least here in the UK and they're available quite cheaply these days, so I guess you really need to work out the volumes of concrete you need to mix and the materials cost before you start and see if you want to hand mix or use a mixer. Having a mixer takes the hard work of mixing out and the largest I've done was 8' x 8' and about 3" thick for a shed base, moving the material into position was more work than loading the mixer, which did the hard work, which was then poured out and my neighbour gave a hand raking it into position between pours and final tamping to level. I would ask friends and relatives if they have one to borrow as I now have

2 concrete mixers which were given to me free and I wasn't even looking for one. One I changed the belt on and the other needs the belt tightened but other than that haven't cost me more than a belt, both are currently out on loan doing work for a friend and a neighbour. both are UK made Belle mixers so decent kit used by most small builders here and spares readily available if ever needed.
Reply to
David Billington

Oooh, who could resist that? It cries out for a hit-and-miss engine to run it.

Doesn't she appreciate that the uncompromisingly functional designs of the 1930's are recognized as legitimate ART?

Around here the status lawn toy is a backhoe or loader.

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

You can mix concrete with a hoe or shovel in a bath tub, or other receptacle. People did it for years and are still doing it. Use your shovel as a measuring device and shovel in the required shovel full's of cement, sand and gravel and add a little water and start mixing. Strive for the least water you can use to get a mix that is as strong as possible.

Reply to
John B. Slocomb

I've mixed many a yard (or meter) of concrete in a wheel barrow for jobs that didn't warrant getting the 3 point hitch mixer mounted on the tractor, as well as for jobs after I left the farm.t's good exercise!!!

Reply to
clare

There is a "small batch" mixer that you just roll around on the ground - looks like a 15 gallon barrel

Reply to
clare