Way to mix concrete without a cement mixer

They're a PITA, too. I made a mortar hoe with a Greenlee punch and found that it was still too much effort to use. I now use a simple soil cultivator (3-tine pointy-toothed rake) and it slides through the dry and wet concrete very easily. The helper I hired for the 135' of fencing I put up last week was very happy with how easy it was to stir the mix with that thing. (Amazon 4-tooth version)

I use those in the large black tubs, which are getting too hard to find. Most are extruded, and all the corners are super thin lately. (HD tub)

Larry Jaques

Second this! Borrow, buy used or buy cheap. I bought a used one nearly

30 years ago that still runs fine as of last year. Wheelbarrow and a hoe are too much work!

Unless you have a young and strong helper, pay the few extra cents for

60 LB bags. Much easer to lift and pore in the mixer than 80 LB. Home Depots near me keep 60 LB inside and the 80 out front. Explained that too many people would buy the 60 then load the 'wrong' one intentionally.
Reply to
William Bagwell

I recently poured a 3ft x 6 ft slab. I mixed 3 or 4 batches in a wheel barrel and dumped them into the form. On the last batch I didn't need to much so I only used 1/2 of a bag. I had trouble in the area of that last pour. I could not get it to float, I had stones at the surface where I made the last dump. It could have been me, but I have done several jobs and am especially proud of the last ramp I made, no stones, I broomed the surface, and use it daily, looks great. When you mentioned mixing the "dry ingredients fairly well" It added to my thought that maybe the 1/2 bag was more stone than cement and that's why I couldn't get it to float. Anyway, next time I will throw away a 1/2 bag of concrete I added water to, instead of a 1/2 bag that hardened in the bag :-)

Mikek

Reply to
amdx

Use a shovel, it works great and it a great exercise.

Ignoramus15965

Just go to Harbor Freight and buy a cheap mixer. When done, scrap the metal and keep the motor. Some of those last if kept painted on the outsides.

55 gallon drum of concrete - 1/2 rock and 1/2 sand and cement is to heavy to move about. Most people can't handle a wheelbarrow.

Consider if not a cheap mixer, then a 1/2 bag roll-a-round plastic bottle that has fins in side...

Martin

Reply to
Martin Eastburn

I wish I had a hill with all down slopes... Never have to carry it up to roll down to mix.

I think after a while this could be a bear and maybe a bad back pushing it around.

Martin

Reply to
Martin Eastburn

te with Portland cement, gravel, sand, and of course water. I need a fair a mount of concrete but not all at one time. I don't have a cement mixer and it would be a pain to rent one every time because I cant do all these proje cts in one day or even a weekend. I am wanting to pur a footer along my dri veway to make a brick boarder, and I also have some concrete edging I want to make.

d be relatively in expensive?

Is it possible to mix say 1/4 a yard of concrete that way at a time? Maybe using a 4x8 plywood sheet and 2x6's for the sides making a box to mix every thing?

Reply to
stryped

A plywood sheet with 2 x 4s to frame it is a very common kind of homemade mortar box. The last couple of jobs I did used that setup, with a shee of plywood that was 4 feet square.

Whatever you use, get it down low enough that you can work it with a hoe and/or shovel (I use both, alternately) without reaching up to get at the mix.

I hoe the ingredients together; flip the pile over with a shovel; and then hoe again. Once everything is mixed dry, further hoeing will only tend to separate it.

I add water slowly, working it with both hoe and shovel, making sure it's absorbed all of the water before adding more. When it's 100% mixed, with no dry cement or aggregate visible, you're done. Adding more water at this point with only make for weak concrete.

Reply to
Ed Huntress

7 cubic feet is a lot of concrete to hand mix in one batch and get it consistent. And you would have about 3 inches of concrete in a tray that big with all the moisture being sucked out by the plywood.
Reply to
clare

And it is a lot easier to do it in a 4X4 square 6 inches deep than a

4X8 3 inches deep. In the big steel wheelbarrow I think we did pretty close to 1/4 yard when we were mixing "in situ" where we didn't need to wheel it too far. 1 big bag (94 lb - 1 cu ft) in a 1-2-3 mix makes just under 1/4 yard (6 cu ft) of concrete and we did 1 bag batches.
Reply to
clare

That seems like a pretty big batch to me. 1/4 yd is about 7 cu ft and that would weigh 1000 lb. I'd start MUCH smaller, to get the feel of it, before trying to do 1/4 yd.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Engelhardt

standard strength is about 3300 lbs per yard - so about 820 lbs. But yes - it IS a pretty good sized batch - about 8 feet of 40" sidewalk

3" thick - or about 6 feet of gutter in the dairy barn when we were putting in the stable cleaner.

We used the mixer for that job - and I shovelled all the gravel twice

- once out of the pit into the trailer, and once into the mixer. The next summer it was the hog stable floor and about 1500 square feet of manure yard. The summer I turned 14 I knocked out all the box stalls with a sledge hammer and the gutters in the dairy stable, then mixed the concrete and filled the cribbing the boss hab built. The next summer it was the manure yard and the hog stable floor, and replacing half a dozen or more beams under the hay-loft - over the stable (big old bank barn - about 100 years old) with 12" square elm-about 14 feet long IIRC. (Dutch elm disease was killing all the big elms in the woodlot - and we had some BIG ones) Winter weekends were spent cutting the limbwood with the 40" circular saw belted to the old 44 Massey and splitting it with an axe. Gotta be well below freezing to split rock elm or the axe either bounces or sticks.!!!

Reply to
clare

Martin Eastburn on Thu, 11 Sep 2014

21:44:24 -0500 typed >> I have some projects at home for which I am wanting to make my own concrete with Portland cement, gravel, sand, and of course water. I need a fair amount of concrete but not all at one time. I don't have a cement mixer and it would be a pain to rent one every time because I cant do all these projects in one day or even a weekend. I am wanting to pur a footer along my driveway to make a brick boarder, and I also have some concrete edging I want to make.

Mix it in the wheelbarrow. Use a rake or hoe.

There are, I think, flexible plastic 'barrels' which are meant to be used to mix small batches of concrete in places where a powered mixer is not an option.

pyotr filipivich

I had the same problem, plus no truck. I figured out how to use a Trash Can to mix 90 bags of concrete in three different pours. I hope this video helps other folks in my situation.

thriftytani