Building a trailer to move my machinery----Important question?

I have a set of modular home axels with electric brakes that I want to use for the trailer. QUESTION------I would assume that there is a preferred (correct) rotation
direction for the wheels on these axels to best accomadate the electric brakes. If so, how do I determine that direction in order to properly mount the axels? Any ideas welcome. Thanks.
Best
From what I remember on mine, they are symetrical. It wouldn't matter. Take your brake drum off and check.
One warning, the spindles in these are poorly made. I found out with six cubes of concrete blocks on my fifth wheel. It was real fun to take all the blocks off on the side of the road to reduce the weight enough to make a temp repair and limp home. Then make six trips back for blocks. Fortunately, I didn't have to reload them all as someone stole most of them <G>
Karl
wrote in message

Thanks for the info. Care to comment on the nature of your axel failure? Was it structural or bearing related? Need to be prepared as I have a long way to haul.
More thanks.
Best

wrote in message

Best guess is poor fit between the spindle and bearing. The bearing looked to have spun on the spindle for some time before it crumbed. The wobbling tore the wheel off those flimsy mounts - the bearing never came clear loose. Its been a LONG time ago, don't remember much more.
I do remember the spindles are soft. I took a center punch and peened the remaining spindles to make the bearing tighter on the spindle.
Just my 2 cents worth, those Northern Hydraulic axle assemblies look like an awful good deal. And way way more quality.
Karl
Your comments and info are much appreciated. I'll pay particular attention to this. Thanks again.
Best

If they have a bendix type brake on them with a long and short shoe on the brake linings the short shoe leads. If they have two cylinders per side, one for each shoe, then the rotational force when activated should drive the shoe into the pivot point and not the cylinder. lg no neat sig line
wrote in message

use
brakes.
axels?
Greetings, Do the axles have brake shoes installed on them? And, if so, is one shoe surface area smaller than the other? Most of the drum brakes I have worked on have the smaller shoe facing the front of the vehicle. Just a thought, Jim
wrote in message

use
brakes.
axels?
Check local codes. In many places it is not legal to use these for a trailer. Rick

rotation
You need to be aware that modular home tires are not legal for other uses in at least some states and some of the wheels will not take other tires. Don Young wrote in message

use
brakes.
axels?