need ideas for a project work!

Hey folks! Let me first start by complimenting on the inputs you people provide from time to time. Now a little about my problem ..... I am an
engineering student in my final year of graduation in Electrical engineering. I am from India. A part of my course asks for a project work to be done in the final year. Though i am a born tinkerer ... ( I have to admit I am not too good at it.) i am having a little difficulty in zeroing in on the correct topic to do my project. I have clarity in basics .. but i am a little too behind on whats new and happening. Dean of my department is a little annoyed by me as i got recruited into cognizant as a programmer while the company was here for a campus recruitment drive. So after all these years i want to please the old man by doing a project which would make him proud. I am adept at programming as well. I am not intimidated by hardwork .. and am willing to put in as much effort as it takes. after all the sole purpose of my education is to gain knowledge. So i was wondering if you folks could come up with an idea... I have some in my head but they feel either too theoretical or too old. I would appreciate any ideas or atleast something to set me sailing... eagerly awaiting ur response yours kapil dube.

build a working hand Phaser? its hard to suggest a project when we don't know your interests or what resources you have available.
Hi, Sorry for not pointing out my interests .... well i have done some work on Power line carrier communication .. the ones which we use in home automation ( X10). and then i also like designing machines.... electromagnetism also intersts me... Resources are not much of a problem. I was looking for an idea basically which tested my computational skills .. as well as my knowledge of machines ... and which was kind of new. And before I forget ... thanks Tim for pointing out my mistake ...

robots and robotics. build a programmable robot that can accomplish a chosen task.... like bringing the prof a cup of coffee or tea.
that sounds cool ... but any leads as to how i start ? building a robotic arm ....

Maybe watch reruns of the six million dollor man? (joking)
The project should show that you understand the theoratical parts of engineering enough to apply them to a practical device.
If you have access to motors, wheels, berrings, shafts, batteries, limit switches, pic processors, and other odds and ends of electromechanical items you should be good to go.
Just scale the project to you resourses. If they are small build a small robot. A buddy of mine builds robot submarines which combine his hobbies of scuba diving and ham radio.
How about a motorized berifcase that follows the prof down the hall and around corners?
What has always fascinated me in all practicality was a version of a Motorized Shopping Cart one could operate to the supermarket to bring ones Groceries home from walking distances, not too big, could be wired or remote controlled & small enough to lift up & carry if you have to.
Re: need ideas for a project work! snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (RoyQ.T.) What has always fascinated me in all practicality was a version of a Motorized Shopping Cart one could operate to the supermarket to bring ones Groceries home from walking distances, not too big, could be wired or remote controlled & small enough to lift up & carry if you have to.
Easy enough ahn? How About It ?
TimPerry wrote:

That sounds like another case of cyber stalking! ;-)
--
Former professional electron wrangler.

Michael A. Terrell
Hmmph! -> From: snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net (MichaelA.Terrell) TimPerry wrote: How about a motorized berifcase that follows the prof down the hall and around corners? That sounds like another case of cyber stalking! ;-)
--
Former professional electron wrangler.
Michael A. Terrell
great ideas people... And yeah .. the HOD tripping over and getting run over was cute ... but i guess thats a far fetched idea ... nothing can stop that guy from taking our classes .. ( and making our lives more miserable! )
thanx
kapil dube wrote:

Build something that will help disabled people. For example, a window opener/closer for double-hung windows that is easy to install, affordable, reliable and attractive. You could make it programmable to open/close the window under certain conditions of temperature, humidity, wind, rain etc.
Or find some other idea for a machine that could help people wit certain handicaps, like Roy's idea of the shopping cart.
Ed
I want a TV remote that has the ability to store 100 favorite channels and a wife that does not bitch all the time!

Yeah .. the shopping cart idea hit me too ... and i believe its a nice one and can be done ... started planning on it already .... hats off to ROY for the idea .... And I would like to sincerely appologise to JIM .. though i believe if I ever make something like that ... and make the wife a lil more behaved ... I dont see how i wont GET the NOBEL prize .. but JIM ... thts not my area of expertise ... but i do hope by the time i get married some one would have got it done .. amen !
Thanx again ppl.
From: snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com (kapildube) Yeah .. the shopping cart idea hit me too ... and i believe its a nice one and can be done ... started planning on it already .... hats off to ROY for the idea .... And I would like to sincerely appologise to JIM .. though i believe if I ever make something like that .. and make the wife a lil more behaved ... I dont see how i wont GET the NOBEL prize .. but JIM ... thts not my area of expertise ... but i do hope by the time i get married some one would have got it done .. amen ! Thanx again ppl. ---------------------------------- Kapil, your welcome: I'm honored & pleased over your decision. Please send us a jpeg when ever you can., we're here if you need us throughout your project development.
Roy Q.T. Urban Technician [I don't make em, I just fix em]
Jim Douglas wrote:

There are learning remotes with LCD sdreens that probably have that many channels if you want to spend over $100 for a new remote.
You need a "Mute" button that really works! ;-)