Advice Please: Landscape Modeling

I'm not sure if I could have posted this to a better newsgroup, but here goes.

I need video clips of a variety of scenic landscapes, that for the most part will have relatively flat foregrounds, with more detail in the distance(horizon), and then the sky(which shoud be the easy part).

3-D animation programs are not realistic enough, and since I can't travel the world looking ofr landscapes to film, I was thinking that the next best thing is to build small scale models of scenic vistas.(ie: forests, mountains, artic, deserts, cliffs, or whatever scene I can come up with.

Can anyone point me in the direction of websites and/or books that detail the materials and processes involved in doing this sort of thing?

Thanks a lot.

Darren Harris Staten Island, New York.

Reply to
Darren Harris

Check in Model Railroad magazines and shops. Good scenery is considered to be important in that segment of the hobby. : )

Kalmbach publishing (Publishers of FSM

out a book on diorama construction several years ago that you might find useful if you can find it. I think the title was _The Art of the Diorama_

One useful tip I picked up from it was to use styrofoam pieces to build up the scenery, then cover them with a coating or Durham's Water Putty. It's stronger and lighter than Plaster of Paris, and takes paint well. You should be able to find it in your local Hardware store.

Reply to
Jeff C

A good CHEAP pamphlet is Life-Like's Basics for Beginners; A Guide to Model Railroading. Of the fifty tips listed, over half will work for any static diorama. I got my copy free at the local hobby shop that caters to the HO crowd. They are usually most available at Christmastime, but I've seen them pretty much throughout the year. HTH,

The Old Timer

Try rec.models.railroad...

Reply to
johnm

Try Walthers at:

They have several photos of vistas in their online catalog

-- Chuck Ryan snipped-for-privacy@REMOVEearthlink.net Springfield OH

Reply to
Charles Ryan