Constructing roads for an industrial park

I have a small group of industrial buildings in a switching layout. We must construct a road and parking lots to make the setup functional.
Walthers has just come out with a road building kit, but it is not suitable for my circumstances. Their road is a 4 lane street and apparently goes only straight. I searched for descriptions about constructing your own road, but without success. Question: can you suggest articles or other material that will give guidance to road construction?
Thanks.
Woodland Scenics has a road building system. It has three components; Paving tape (walthers#) 785-1455 for $6.49, Smooth - it 785-1452 for $4.98per quart, and Top Coat 785-1453 for asphalt or 785-1454 for concrete. Each is $4.29 for 4 oz.
I have not used this, so . . . .
They also have a Road system kit for 12.98. # 785 952. It looks like a small quantity of each product as well as the instructions for using it.
--
Please support the following train meets if you can
Gratiot Valley ( www.gvrr.org ) in Macomb Michigan in March and November

Bob Schwartz wrote: Now all I have to do is find better center stripes (white) than the tape I used... it's coming up. --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I use artist's pencils to apply the stripes. Might not work on the WS roads, though.
Bill Bill's Railroad Empire http://www.billsrailroad.net

Thanks Bill; I'll give them a try in a hidden spot & let you know.
--
73 de KT0T
Bob Schwartz
kt0t wrote:

Try a stencil cut out of card. Use spray paint, or a stencil brush (short, stiff bristles.) I've seen very nice work done using this method, but haven't tried it myself. With a stencil brush it's easy to produce the variation in density that looks right.
HTH

Thank you Wolf! I have seen the painted ones - they do look good. I'd have to use the stencil brush as my air compressor is busted.
Bob

Yeah, I've used that method. It worked for me very well on a straight roadway section on a highway bridge I modeled. I cut a continuous narrow strip out of the center of a manila folder (I chose it because it was stiff enough to stand up to handling, yet thin) and then used 3/4" masking tape* to mask off stripes along the strip. I sprayed antique white acrylic paint through the mask *lightly* to make the stripes.
FYI: Prototype stripes are typically 4" wide with a 10' stripe / 30' space pattern (15' / 25' pre- 1970s).
Mark Mathu wrote:

Not in Canada or USA. Shorter stripes, shorter gaps, about 6ft long with a 6ft gap at a rough guess. (I'm sure somebody with hiway maintenance experience will tell us the exact numbers.)

Ten foot long stripes with ten foot spaces between them.

I should have specified: I was modeling a freeway overpass on my layout. I gave the prototype spacing to compare it against the selective compression used on my model, which used gaps made from 3/4" masking tape (= 5.5 scale feet in HO).
The typical spacings are spelled out in the Manual of Uniform Traffic Control Devices. I'm a civil engineer, and my co-workers who specialize in traffic engineering treat the MUTCD as their "bible."
California's interpretation of the MUTCD is on-line at: http://www.dot.ca.gov/hq/traffops/signtech/mutcdsupp/pdf/CA-Chap3A.pdf Refer to Detail 11 (p. 3A-3) in the MUTCD 2003 California Supplement... stripes are 12' long, with 36' gaps between them for traffic speeds 45 mph or greater.
--
Mark Mathu
The Green Bay Route: http://www.greenbayroute.com /

Anyone in Canada or the USA can hop on a highway and verify my statement.

I already did (above), why did you post incorrect information?

Just look:
http://www.rockymountainroads.com/arizona200/az-202_eb_exit_010_02.jpg
Don't spend too much time telling yourself these stripes are 6' / 6'.

Why don't you two quit pissing in each other's beer and go to the source:
http://mutcd.fhwa.dot.gov/index.htm
--
Evaluating all GUIs by the example of Windows is like evaluating all cars
by the example of Yugos.

Was your head up your ass when the Manual of Uniform Traffic Control Devices (MUTCD) was mentioned as a resource *eleven* days ago in this thread?

What does that have to do with me stating the markings are ten feet long and ten feet apart here?

I use sheets of craft foam to make the roads, and gel pens (like they use in scrapbooking to write on dark paper) to do the lines. See pics here:
http://home.mindspring.com/~dayton_n-track/index.html
Select "Photo Album" in the left menu, then "Bend Track SIG". Scroll down to the second section of the thumbnails - there are several pictures of roads and parking lots there.
--
Evaluating all GUIs by the example of Windows is like evaluating all cars
by the example of Yugos.
On 15 Mar 2006 18:17:34 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@cox.net wrote:

Some folks use .060 or .080 styrene sheet; you could cut up old (or not so old?) political or real estate yard signs or such. Draw the road outline, cut it out, glue it down, paint and weather it.
Also see http://www.rrscenery.com/pavingtutorial.html
--
Steve