Onslow Park

Probably my last rally visit this year, except for the essential Internal Fire end of season do, and an excellent note to finish on.

Philip's Appletop was an example of mechanical perfection, and Gary Millward's Lister N is a truly impressive sight. A very good selection of engines and this certainly seems to be a rally on the rise. It was very uplifting to see that the engine area was the first section encountered after the entrance.

I enjoyed watching the old boys starting (or not) their charges before the parade, and watched the steamers lumber around as well. I noted to my surprise a certain fair-haired Petter enthusiast drive his model steamer about.

Thinking there was a good selection of older tractors, I headed off to the working field to see some really fine early ones. The working area was superb IMHO.

Weather was superb, and the company was good. A thoroughly good day out.

Pictures at :

Look for the Onslow Park 2005 page. If you know more details on models or dates of the tractors and motorbikes shown, lewt me know and I'll append the info.

Regards, Arthur G

Reply to
Arthur G

dates of the tractors and motorbikes shown,

The Fowler is a Marshall - they were all part of the same group.Fowlers were usually orange and Dinky Toys got it wrong with theirs!

Brian L Dominic

Web Sites: Canals:

of the Cromford Canal:
Light Railway:
Newsgroup readers should note that the reply-to address is NOT read: To email me, please send to brian(dot)dominic(at)tiscali(dot)co(dot)uk

Reply to
Brian Dominic

Hi Arthur, how come you didn't mention the biggest collection of Sentinel Steam & Diesel vehicles I have ever seen. (Also one Stationary Engine) They were celebrating 100 years of the firm in Scotland & Shrewsbury & had a steam run between the 2 sites followed by a large party. I will try to get round to posting my pictures tommorrow. Also the working field was the best I have ever seen. Many US & English rare machines were working. They even had a contest to see how fast 4 people could assemble a Ferguson tractor from the parts available to the assembly line. ISTR the results were about 30 minuits.

end of season do, and an excellent note

Millward's Lister N is a truly impressive sight. A

rise. It was very uplifting to see that

parade, and watched the steamers lumber

enthusiast drive his model steamer about.

working field to see some really fine early

dates of the tractors and motorbikes shown,

Reply to
Dave Croft

Nice pictures Arthur. Makes me regret being stuck in work earning an honest crust. As for that certain fair haired Petter enthusiast he was doing the same thing at Fairford the weekend before. He does assure me though that it is only a "sideline" (like another posters leaning towards valve radios and bicycles) and will not veer him away from his main interest.

Regards

JohnR

Reply to
JohnR

machines were working.

tractor from the parts

Pictures of Onslow Park at

Dave Croft Warrington England

Dave Croft

Sentinel Steam & Diesel

rare machines were working.

Ferguson tractor from the parts

Did anyone see that V12 German tank engine running??

Looked rather 'angry'.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

snip

and very thirsty.

Reply to
Richard H Huelin

Hi Tim, He had no cooling on it & only ran it for a few minutes each time. You could hear it all over the showground & a pillar of dark smoke went up. I couldn't get near enough for a photo when it was running.

Reply to
Dave Croft

Unless Vic has improved it since Welland its only running on 9-10 of its twelve cylinders. It makes an unholy but impressive sight :-) ttfn Roland

Reply to
Roland Craven

I did see the photo next to it with a great plume of black smoke rising above it but not running!

Shouldnt be that black running off load at constant revs though. If its only running on 9-10cylinders it must be abit sick...

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

"Tim.." wrote

At idle at least one of the cylinders is only along for the ride, and when revved it bangs and misfires. Still very impressive though, and I bet a valve and injector job would do wonders........I wonder where you'd find a set of nozzles for a 60+ year old Maybach?

Regards

Philip T-E

Reply to
ClaraNET

The Jagdpanther tank I saw at Military Odyssey last weekend has one of these Maybach units. Having been rebuilt from the tracks upwards, it starts first cylinder over compression & runs very sweetly indeed. Not so impressive though as it neither pops, bangs nor emits clouds of smoke of any colour!

Regards,

Kim Siddorn,

Reply to
Kim Siddorn