Great Dorset

Since Colins post was hijacked, I thought I would start a proper thread to give everyone a chance. It also means that I get to have my say first. I have been going to GDSF for a number of years now and heard much about it from various exhibitors and visitors. The GDSF is not like ANY other show in the UK. Some while ago I was given a set of figures showing how many steamers attended which show. The small shows had a few, medium shows had a dozen or so, large shows had up to 25. GDSF had 250. The event is a business not a hobby. I believe that it nearly went bust some years ago and the organisers do not want that again. Neither do the exhibitors or visitors. When staying on site, you had to be away by 16.00. One year they changed that to 10.00 in the pre event literature. therefore the last day cost a nights stay. I complained at the time. When I visited the show, the old

16.00 rule had returned. Perhaps Colin may be allowed to stay one night after all. I have emailed the organisers to ask if the 2 night rule only applies to pre booked camping. I will let you know the answer if I get one. I also noticed on the leaflet that arrived by post that the previously free entry after 17.00 will now cost. The engine display is poor, no question of it. When you see the way those guys are treated, I wonder why they turn up at all. They have to run their engines all day, every day regardless of weather. They are not allowed to have any vehicle or tent near their engine. They camp about 1/2 mile away. When the weather is wet, they huddle under a brolly. When it's hot, they choke on the dust. All this for 5 days. I wouldn't do it. The traders area is something else. a roadway 1/4 mile long with stalls both sides. There are 10 roadways like that. The stuff for sale ranges from new clothes & tents through engines & vehicles to rust. There are bargains to be had. Haggle. As I said, GDSF is not like a normal show. Security is a definite issue. Things get stolen. Normally I am fairly trusting. At GDSF I lock everything away. Personally, I like the show and hope to go again. My favourite is the traders area where I generally get some bargains and nearly always spend too much money.

John

Reply to
John Manders

Having had my rant (sorry Colin) may I ask a sensible question - is the terrible traffic a regular feature - over 3 hours in the queue - or was I just unlucky last year?

Reply to
Nick H

That's about par and It gets worse every year. If I can't get there by 8 I don't bother. ttfn Roland

Reply to
Roland and Celia Craven

All, I last visited in 2002 and along with my elderly Dad greatly enjoyed the experience. The traffic in the morning was a sod and in the evening we stayed pottering about in the evening until 8pm, so as to allow most of the traffic to disperse. I agree the engine display wasn't the best I've seen, but there were enough engines to entertain us for quite a while. The late Dennis Quincy's Akroyd was the most absorbing engine I've seen. The working engine displays in "How twer done in Granfer's day" were excellent and the spectacle of the steamers in action was superb. The working tractors were also very good. The cars and motorbikes seemed a little lacklustre to me. The traders stalls were very varied and interesting, though I bought little.

Would I go again? Well, if I lived closer, the answer would most definitely be," Yes, every year". The journey is a long one and accomodation is not easily found, so the true answer is about every five years or so. I can confidently say I will never exhibit there as I don't have enough spare time in my life for that.

As an aside, some local folks known to me are taking engines as a group this year and half of the group will see to all their engines while the others take in the fair, then they'll swap over. It seems a pretty good way of dealing with the regulations without making exhibiting too onerous.

Regards, Arthur G

Reply to
Arthur G

Here is the reply from GDSF

"Than you for your e-mail

There is a 2 night booking policy on the pre-paid campsites, however, you can stay for just one night by staying in the casual camp sites. When you arrive at the casual camp sites you will need to pay for all the nights as you enter and then get a refund for the nights you do not stay as you leave.

I hope this answers your question.

Thank you"

Reply to
John Manders

Gentlemen,

Which direction do you travel from, I have come from the Salisbury end for the last ten years and have NEVER had to queue regardless of arrival time.

Martin P

Reply to
Campingstoveman

In article , Nick H writes

If you can, do what we do. Book for two nights, turn up late afternoon on day one (so the traffic is going in the opposite direction), get a bite to eat, then go into the show and see the fairground, sample (!) the beer tent(s), then back to bed. Day two you get a full day and evening there, and leave on day 3. If you leave in good time, the traffic is all going into the site, so a clear get away.

Adrian

Reply to
Adrian Simpson

The disadvantage of that is the cost of an extra night on the campsite. However, as you have to stay somewhere, I agree, it may as well be on site. The fees aren't that much more than a commercial site. What we do is arrive after 20.00 when the gates to the camp site are closed. There is an area for late arrivals so we stay in that overnight and get in as soon as the gates open at 08.00 without a queue. That works as we have a caravan. Pitching and de-pitching a tent may be less practical and then I would consider the extra night worthwhile. The day we leave, we have to be away by 16.00 to avoid paying another night. At that time, the traffic is building but isn't too heavy. I get 2 days in the show for 1 nights site fee. The free night on the late arrivals area appeals to my tight wallet as well.

John

Reply to
John Manders