BRM Show at Peterborough

Had several customers in my shop this week who went to the BRM Show at Peterborough last weekend.

Without exception all claimed the show was rubbish and that the trade support was equally poor. A pretty universal exception was they thought the

7mm scale 'Vine Street' layout was very, very good.

Did anyone on here go, and if so have you any comments?

John.

Reply to
John

misc

Did not visit the show ( good job by the sounds of it ) but we have seen and admired the mid 1960's based 'Vine Street'. Bit of artistic licence used but a nice layout to watch operating.

I have to have a bit of sympathy for some traders after overhearing at several shows what they are having to pay for their stand. I recall at one show a couple of simple trestle tables in the open air were costing them =A340 each for the weekend.

My son & I always enjoy layouts with plenty of tunnels, bridges and viaducts.

Chris

Reply to
Dragon Heart

WHERE? I'm paying £400 for a small area and some of the the shows I should attend but simply can't justify are £1000 :( But even with these shows some of the show organisers are getting too greedy and big traders are staying away .... and 'extra' shows are appearing in the calendar which compete with the more established ones.

Reply to
Lester Caine

Traders always have to pay when I was in a club these were used to pay overnight accommodation for the layout operators with entrance covering venue hire and layout transport costs. Probably why there is such a high proportion of traders at Warley for instance, not cheap to hire I would imagine.

Chris

Reply to
Chris

Often the reason I go to a larger show is more to peruse the trade stands rather than to see layouts. Fine as many of these are I prefer smaller local shows for looking at them as being less crowded and having fewer layouts time can be spent looking at the smaller details. Must be difficult for a Trader to decide which ones to attend especially the middle ground shows in Cities which sit between Warley at one end and a village show at the other. Must be very unpredictable what business you may get. Only needs a clash of dates with a large sporting event in the town or some bad roadworks to keep potential visitors away. I cannot be alone in feeling sorry for some poor trader who having given up a weekend and traveled miles is sat at their stand looking dejected as nobody is interested in their wares.

G.Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg

There is one trader who attends several of our 'local' shows who appears to do great business on new stock at full RRP yet another who sells a great deal of nice, good quality 2nd hand stuff at reasonable prices hardly gets a customer.

Now I know some people are a little put off by 2nd hand and feel they have a better come back if there is a problem but I have not found that to be the case in most instances.

You do get some traders attempting to dump old or rough stock onto the inexperienced but most are OK.

A 'good sales show' will depend on a great deal of things like :-

Location Parking Are the local team @ home Past experience Good / bad advertising Type of customer Weather

The old saying of 'priced to sell' however does come to mind as I think many people come to these shows with the 'Sunday Market' mentality and expect a bargain ......... but then again don't we all :-)

Chris

Reply to
Dragon Heart