Weekend MR results

So how was your weekend? Many of us shared our Modeling plans for Saturday and Sunday so how many of us accomplished what we set out to do?

My weekend plans started to unravel Friday when it became evident that I would need to spend Saturday at the ranch. I managed to get finished out there about 2:00. My daughter had been thoughtful enough to do all her chores and mine too so I got in about five hours on the layout when my wife returned with my son and a Black Labrador puppy. Today was his 4th birthday and the dog was a gift from his aunt. Like we need another dog after the recent arrival of eight pups. The rest of the evening was spent acclimating the puppy with all the other critters running around the house. Mama dog was very angry at the new arrival and my old yellow lab kept him away from the younger puppies but only growled at him a little. This time both cats freaked out. The younger one when off spitting and hissing and the older one went back up on the roof again. By midnight all was well, I got the cat down and we hit the hay.

Sunday I awoke about 4:30 to a whining pup who had to go out side. Good dog! But couldn't you hold on for another hour or so? Since I was up I took the pup and my old lab out to the shed with me and worked on the layout until about 8:00. At 11:00 my son and I headed to the Fort Worth Train show. I gave him some birthday money to spend on what ever he wanted so he loaded up on Thomas stuff. I found a few La Belle kits real cheap. The Texas On30 Outlaw guys had a neat layout going. We enjoyed the N scale layouts running long trains, and the numerous G scale trains too. The show was small and not too crowded. After we left we stopped for a while to watch some real trains in the rain. Then it was back home for a birthday dinner, presents of even more Thomas stuff and Spiderman things.

So I still managed to get in about eight hours on the layout and made it to the train show. A great weekend. But too short. Now if I can resist the temptation to start those La Belle kits I might get more work done on the layout next weekend........ if it rains. Bruce

Reply to
Bruce Favinger

I set aside Sunday to build the skyboard down the centre of my new peninsula. By mid-day I was finished measuring and planning, and walked out the train room to head down to the hardware shop. I bumped straight into my neighbour Graeme - "Do you want to cut down that tree now?" he asked (I had asked for his help more than a month ago).

"Err - yeah." I said (without much enthusiasm).

Six hours later, I finally made it back into my train room and turned the lights off.

The weatherman says we're gonna have rain all next weekend. I'm hoping he's right!!

Ron

Reply to
RonMcF

Pretty much as planned...

Saturday was the Open House. I had about 20 people show up visit, spending anywhere from 5 minutes to over half an hour. Everything ran well, and the TraiNcam was a hit.

Sunday I did a last run of the layout. Started by videotaping the whole layout, then set up the TraiNcam again and taped the output of that, running a full course of the layout, peeking into all the sidings. Finished up with that about 9:30 am. Stuck the tape back in the video camera, set it up for time lapse, and started stripping the layout. Rolling stock, structures... then trees... skirt, wiring, hoses for the turnouts, turnout motors... finally cutting the two doors apart, taking them outside and stripping the scenery off. So now I've got 2 doors with plaster stains and numerous small holes in them. I figure to use them for shelving or craft tables at the new house.

Even then, Murphy's Law wasn't finished with the layout. As we were cleaning up the driveway, sweeping up the last of the trash and putting it in the cans, a family of 4 walked up (Mom, Dad, and two young boys).

"We're here to see the layout"

I apologized, and explained that they were a day late for the open house, we were getting ready to move, and that what was in the trash cans _was_ the layout. The poor kids looked crushed. Ah, well...

Reply to
Joe Ellis

I went to the GATS show at Portland, OR. Arrived at Convention Center Exhibit Area E at the opening bell, 11:00 a.m. on Saturday, 13 November,

2004.

It was a farce. Advertised "...hundreds of tables...". Note the plural "hundreds". Had by actual count, 126 tables. I even obtained a copy of the dealer list and table diagram. Sure enough, 126 tables.

Of these a third were die cast cars, trucks and planes. Sure, its a nice thing for those who collect such stuff, but its not trains.

There were actually two dealers who were selling interesting stuff in my scale - HO.

There were at least 10 tables of folks selling broken -- yes, broken -- Lionel post war to early 70s stuff. It was literally garbage in brown grocery boxes.

Saw several other local modelers there. Opinion was unanimous. The GATS shows are a bad joke.

Local TV station --KATU Channel 2, an ABC affiliate -- was there filming a "feel good" piece about kids, trains, etc. Several of us tried to get the cameraman and the talking head reporterette to focus on the false ads, the lack of dealers and the trash being sold and talk about the scam that was being foisted on folks. No interest from the TV folks.

Last GATS show I'll ever go to.

-- Jim McLaughlin

Please don't just hit the reply key. Remove the obvious from the address to reply.

Reply to
Jim McLaughlin

It's been my experience that GATS and Greenberg shows were a mixed bag, and couldn't be counted on; but our local NMRA Division show is always high quality, and free of non-railroad distractions....

Fishplate

Reply to
Cheery Littlebottom

I managed just about everything I set out to do, for a change.

I managed to fit the dummy washout plugs to the 3.5' gauge County boiler

- they now just need soldering in place.

I played all Sunday with the 5" gauge Y6 tram loco. It was bit cold, though. Drank lots of coffee and talked a lot!

Did a bit more to the Honda 400/4.

Bruce Fav>

snip

Reply to
Dick Ganderton

I went to the "International Rail Fair" at Roseville, CA. Not much better. Lots of junk on sale, crowded aisles. A couple wirehead layouts, but I'm not too sure how good they were. An HO modular layout that was having some electrical continuity problems, and the guy on duty couldn't tell me what the rail standards were for their modules; looked like code 83 (which a step above the other modular outfit in the area, still stuck on code 100) but he didn't know.

But Russ Clover of Clover House was there and I got to pick up some PC board tie material free of postage. The down side was he's talking about retiring. I hope he finds somebody to take over the business, possibly expand, and definitely modernize its web presence.

Reply to
Steve Caple

Well, with the work crew I'd invited over, we got about half of the old layout dismantled, a fair amount more than I'd anticipated. 18' x 19' L-shaped room, still have the around-the-walls portion to go, but before that happens I need to load up the dumpster a couple of times and clear out the pile of junk in the middle of the floor. Salvaged all of the code 83 Shinoharas; most of the rest of the track was handlaid and we made no effort to save any of it - the new layout will use flextrack. Did salvage the main yard - about a 9' x 3' section, all handlaid code 70, including the turnouts. Haven't the faintest idea what I'll do with it, but it's still in one piece! May have one more work party before the end of the year, will definitely have one in January, and there's a slight chance to have trains running out there in the spring before it gets too hot for the summer.

Matt

Reply to
Matt Furze

Sailed a Mirror dinghy then turned up some wheels for a Scale7 diesel :-)

Jim.

Reply to
Jim Guthrie

Bruce Favinger wrote in news:9rXld.33484$Al3.9197 @newssvr30.news.prodigy.com:

Not bad, not bad. I got some yellow paint onto tthe hoods of the RS-1 I'm redecorating. but the weather was not cooperating (I paint outside) so I didn't get much else done on that. I didn't even attempt the coupler mods.

I did go to the club and work on scenery some more. I'm reworking the mountians on a module that has some really un-natural looking mountians. Also, because of the layout and arangement of the room, this module is viewed end-on by the visitors. Unfortunatly, any view from there is blocked by a large mountian. I took out the mountian two weeks ago. This weekend I got the center portion sliced out and formed up a nice valley. Finnished building a lower hill on the right side. Had to quit work on the left side mountian when a support caved in. I did mix some drywall compound with a bit of water and painted that over much of the mountian where the plaster cloth has been dry for a few days. This morning was a real winner at work. At 10:30 I gave up and played hooky at the train club for about two hours. I got the support for the mountian reset and finnished all the plaster cloth work. It's the only thing I did today where I feel like I accomplished anything.

Later this week I'll finish coating the cloth with drywall compound. I'm trying to get this done before the Christmas open houses begin in December.

Oh. One more thing. I registered our club's domain: PDXareaNtrak.org. Don't bother going there, all you will see is a parked page. Once I get ahead of myself on the seanery work I'll create a welcome page.

Reply to
Gordon Reeder

I used to have a Mirror - I loved it!! As a class, it is all but extinct here now. Pity.

Ron

Reply to
RonMcF

Well, I got the video watched, which is about all I set out to do, so I guess the weekend was a resounding success ;-). And the workshop got cleaned up a fair bit (most notably by getting the table saw mounted on a wheelie-trolly thing, so it's easier to shove out of the way). Not modelling per se, but when the shop is so cluttered that it gets awkward and hazardous to work in there.....

And the yard-work got done. Next project: re-grout the tile in the kids' shower before they get home for Xmas.......

Sometime, I guess I'll do some train stuff ;-).

-- Kizhe

Reply to
Lt. Kizhe Catson

Dear folks, I am happy to report I got nothing done, and will try again next week.

Cordially yours, Gerard Pawlowski President, The Sparta Railroad

Reply to
Gerard Pawlowski

Reply to
Dick Ganderton

That's the spirit!

Reply to
Mark Mathu

Helped set up at the local Greenberg Show. Ran some trains and chatted with folks. Then I was so tired I slept for a couple hours until it was time to tear down and pack up. Guys kidded me they were going to turn out the lights, leave me and my modules behind. Good thing I woke up in time. :)

Reply to
Corelane