Re: What are your modeling plans this weekend?

Croccodile tears! You looked pretty chipper about it last night! (and

>thanks again for your help hauling my modules down). > >Don >

No prob. Clue to used-car buyers. 48 inch modules will not fit in a Ford Tortoise...uh...Taurus sedan. It's only 46" across the trunk.

BTW, I found a Wurlitzer organ someone had thrown out. I managed to get THAT in my trunk, too. It's now residing in my living room. And it works. Man, I love free stuff.

Let's see, in three weeks I've gotten a 24-inch bike for my daughter, a Mongoose mono-shock mountain bike for me, and a Wurlitzer. Now a snow blower and a lawn sweeper would put me in hog heaven. So would a thrown-out box of decent trains, but that's a pipe dream in all likelihood.

Jay

All the world's a stage - and everybody's a critic. All messages from domain hotmail.com have been blocked.

Reply to
JCunington

That's a Sable, not a Taurus. .

I DID find some 50 year old "Blue Line" passenger car kits for a quarter each at a rummage sale once (they're worth about ywenty bucks).

FWIW, attendance at Trainfest was way down this year, only a little over

15,000. I did hear that Albert the Alley cat pulled SFHogger's chain a little.

Don

-- snipped-for-privacy@prodigy.net

snipped-for-privacy@yahoogroups.com moderator: snipped-for-privacy@yahoogroups.com moderator: snipped-for-privacy@yahoogroups.com co-moderator: snipped-for-privacy@Yahoogroups.com

Trainman

A Wurlitzer organ in the boot of a car! Wow! I have fond memories of an illuminated Wurlitzer rising majestically through the floor of the local cinema, organist playing, when I was a kid. Must be a very large car, :o))

JCun>

snip

snip

Reply to
Dick Ganderton

It was good to meet you and see your excellent layout.

-- Bill McC.

Reply to
Bill McCutcheon

The pleasure was mine. It's always fun to put a face behind the pixels.

Don

-- snipped-for-privacy@prodigy.net

snipped-for-privacy@yahoogroups.com moderator: snipped-for-privacy@yahoogroups.com moderator: snipped-for-privacy@yahoogroups.com co-moderator: snipped-for-privacy@Yahoogroups.com

Trainman

Same thing, different marque.

Jay

All the world's a stage - and everybody's a critic. All messages from domain hotmail.com have been blocked.

Reply to
JCunington

Chevy Caprice, their largest. Counterpart to the Buick Roadmonster (Roadmaster). Wheelbase is something in the 100-110 inch range, 26 mpg on the highway, cheap parts (mostly), and big-car ride. Roughly a 50-inch wide trunk opening. Holds 2 sometimes whining kids comfortably on a 12-hour ride to Kansas (left at 4 AM). It's not as nice as a station wagon, but it'll do most times.

Jay

All the world's a stage - and everybody's a critic. All messages from domain hotmail.com have been blocked.

Reply to
JCunington

"JCunington" wrote

!!!!!

-- Bill McC.

Reply to
Bill McCutcheon

How well soundproofed is that trunk?

Reply to
Steve Caple

Dear Sir, I used to have an Oldsmobile like that until it died of low oil pressure. It was the earlier model before they rounded off the bodywork. Good car. If I could have broken the habit of keeping all of my car repair tools in the trunk I probably could have stuffed an organ in there, too. It's strange what good gas mileage some of those big things got.

Cordially yours, Gerard Pawlowski President, The Sparta Railroad.

Reply to
Gerard Pawlowski

What counts in fuel consumption is the amount of air/fuel displaced - basically engine capacity times rpm. (OK there's a whole lot of other factors but that's the most significant one) Those medium sized engines puttered along at little more than modern day idling rpm and the cars hardly got into speed ranges where streamlining had any effect. A modern engine of the same capacity probably averages twice the rpm so displaces twice the air/fuel mixture. They have much the same torque (pulling power) so in normal driving the performance is similar. The modern engine has to make up for doubling the air/fuel volume by having more efficient carburator(s) manifolds, valves etc etc.

Regards, Greg.P.

Reply to
Gregory Procter

Yep, it held Mr. Dellmann's 48-inch module with about an inch to spare on both ends.

Jay

All the world's a stage - and everybody's a critic. All messages from domain hotmail.com have been blocked.

Reply to
JCunington

Pretty well, but unfortunately law requires that kids ride in the seats.

Jay

All the world's a stage - and everybody's a critic. All messages from domain hotmail.com have been blocked.

Reply to
JCunington

Yes, considering the smaller cars weigh half or 3/4 as much, have 1/3-1/4 the engine displacement, but don't get that much better mileage. I'll take a car where I can still get my hands into the nooks and crannies of the engine compartment.

Jay

All the world's a stage - and everybody's a critic. All messages from domain hotmail.com have been blocked.

Reply to
JCunington

Mine was to get my photo album back up and running, which I did. :-)

-- Cheers Roger T.

Home of the Great Eastern Railway (Site now back up and working)

Roger T.

What sort of consumption figures are you talking about? I would feel hard done by if my car didn't give me over 50 MPG averaging over 60MPH on a longish run on all sorts of roads - on motorways I expect 70MPH average at around 55MPG, loaded. I expect to do well over 600 miles on a tankful.

JCun>

Reply to
Dick Ganderton

Dick G: 50+MPG?? Sadly we Americans think half that is good mileage. I used to have a car that got 35+ but traded in for larger car that drinks more gas. Since there are so many mammoth SUVs on the road these days, I just didn't feel safe in an "econobox".

Reply to
Corelane

I can get about 25-29 mpg in my Caprice. FWIW the new Honda Accord hybrid due out December 4 has increased it's mileage by 43% city and 23% highway (hondacars.com). It now gets approx. 30 mpg city and 40 mpg highway, which means the regular gas-only model got 32 mpg highway and 21 city. Considering the difference in the size of the car and the engine I didn't consider that enough of a difference to warrant me buying a regular model Accord, especially as the fuel savings would be offset by higher cost for parts (struts vs. shocks, tie rods wear out faster, etc.) and a mechanic to access those parts I couldn't (Step 1: remove engine from vehicle...).

Can you tell I'm no fan of tranverse-mounted engines?

Jay

website URL: members.aol.com/orphantrainlocos/index.html All the world's a stage - and everybody's a critic.

Reply to
JCunington

Today I drove 120 miles along narrow, winding and hilly country roads to collect a new boiler for my 5" gauge Marie-E - an 0-4-0 3' narrow gauge Porter. Fuel consumption was 54 MPG but the average speed was a lowly 40 MPH. The car is a transverse engined, front wheel drive, HDI diesel, of course.

JCun>

Reply to
Dick Ganderton

was a lowly 40

My ideal use for a diesel is this: Get one, convert it to run on used fryer oil. Fuel: free or next to nothing. Offset to increased cost of FWD: HUGE! FWD is now WAY cheaper because there's nearly no fuel cost and higher mileage to boot!

I am considering it. According to what I've found on the web, vegetable oils burn about twice as clean as diesel fuel, but with the same NOx levels. And the exhaust smells like whatever was cooked in the oil.

Some friends went to alternative energy fair. A group drove in a bio-diesel motor home from Washington State to Illinois (2000 miles) for about $20. They filled up at fast-food places along the way.