Rally events this weekend

Gentlemen,

Bolnhurst Rally is on this weekend, not a bad little do, light on stalls for us but plenty to see for you and the Boss. I shall be there with my engine but a word of warning, look out for a lady driving a Mobility Scooter, it will be my wife and her first attempt at getting around on, it wont be going fast as she thinks reverse is to quick :-))

Martin P

Reply to
campingstoveman

Forgot to say, Bolnhurst is north of Bedford and the Scooter is a silver grey colour with a rubber bumper on the front.

Martin P

Reply to
campingstoveman

"campingstoveman" wrote

Sounds as if it should be in Sussex.

I'll probably end up going to Lister Tyndale after all.

Reply to
Nick H

It is, as mentioned before, the Lister-Tyndale rally this weekend. The local news tells me it is also the Air Tattoo at RAF Fairford, blessedly some thirty odd miles away!

Allow extra time north of the M4 as Gloucestershire roads are going to be BUSY!

Reply to
Kim Siddorn

The Fairford Tattoo isn't until 15 & 16 July - maybe there's a mixup with the Kemble Airday which is this Sunday.

Reply to
Matthew Sylvester

So it is - thanks Matthew.

Only 20 miles away .........

Regards,

Kim Siddorn

Reply to
Kim Siddorn

"Nick H" wrote (snip) :-

Didn't go, something unexpected turned up to distract me!

Nick H

Hi Nick, If it yours now, see the picture below & the next four pictures.

scanned the owners handbook on my handbooks page. See
sold mine about 15 years ago to a Swedish friend. I was having trouble getting it to run steadily when he waved sufficient pound notes under my nose.

Reply to
Dave Croft

I just tested the sites I sent & the Stirling book isn't working reliably. Try

works for me. (But so did the other the first time) It is a big download so it takes a few minuites.

Reply to
Dave Croft

Where do you keep finding these things,

Martin P

Reply to
campingstoveman

Wow! Have you had it running yet?

I went after one of those on eBay a year or so ago but even incomplete and butchered it went for an amazing amount of money.

They seem to be rarer than rocking horse poo, how did you find it?

Mark

Mark_Howard

"Dave Croft" wrote

Thanks Dave. I downloaded the manual (I think it was from yourself actually) some time ago in anticipation of acquiring the set!

Reply to
Nick H

"Mark_Howard" wrote

I have so far confined myself to cleaning and a few rudimentary checks. Though I know my way pretty well around IC engines and 'toy' stirlings, this is a different kettle of fish and my first priority must be to 'do no harm'.

It's true that there aren't many about, no one seems sure how many were made and a large proportion ended up in technical college thermo labs being hacked about by successive generations of students. OTOH, they are out there and now appeal to a pretty limited collectors market (hardly everybody's idea of a desirable engine), so prices like the one advertised in SEM a few months ago are pretty speculative and of course ebay is a law unto itself when it comes to the more unusual items.

I had a tip-off quite some years ago from a college lab tech (friend and fellow engine enthusiast) about one which had been written off the inventory during a 'clear out' and squirreled away by another (non-enthusiast) technician. It didn't appeal to my friend so I made it clear that I would like first refusal should tech II decide to part with it. Then I waited, and waited - perhaps dropping just the odd hint now and then - in fact I had to wait until tech II retired and cleared out his hoard. I didn't have to sell the cat (or Helen) for medical experiments to pay for it, but I definably owe him one big time!

Reply to
Nick H

On Friday evening (the Lister-Tynedale is 30 miles for me) I was looking for my pass when I found the uncompleted form.

Ah.

So, Saturday morning at the crack of sparrow fart, I'm on the little Honda & away to North Nibbles to be a spectator. I parked up and wandered about, met Eric Brain who says "Hi" and a few others of note. I was told PT-E was about and Nick Highfield was expected, but saw none of them.

It was a hot, airless day & frankly I was just as happy to be able to get on my 500cc single & crack on purposefully on A roads home in the heat of the day. The alternative of joining the slowly roasting exhibitors about their Lawful Occasions in the H&S cow pens lacked any real attraction, I'm afraid.

There were some interesting cycle motors (push bikes with engines), one or two interesting motorcycles and lots and lots of tractors. Some steam stuff too, I believe, although not my thing these days.

The one person I spent some quality time with was Len (erm?) Riddings with a very nicely restored Stuart Turner Model H, a two stroke Diesel single that ran cleanly and well, although I understand it is hard to start. I'm surprised to note I took some fifty pictures & the best of these I'll post later this evening.

I found a Bosch 180o magneto with a very well designed flick fitting from (I believe) a Dutch chap. Only thirty quid & probably destined for my C-V Neptune. Its total lack of spark was readily cured by - as usual - cleaning the points!

An interesting ex WD telescope-cum-microscope I found for £3.00 completed my rummaging. Hazel likes me going to events on the bike!

Nice Philips Stirling device, Nick. I reckon you deserve it for patience and tenacity ;o))

Regards,

Kim Siddorn

Reply to
Kim Siddorn
40 plus photos at

Chieftain tank engines sounded great, but I don't think I'd like to hold the throttle wide open at maximum revs & no load as they both did. I thought it was odd that having rebuilt them from scratch they were not tidier - viz-a-viz our recent discussions.

The Petter S bounced once off compression & ran beautifully. Only second time out.

Ex Brian Sharp ST Model H - Len *Gillings*, BTW - is a little gem.

Regards,

Kim Siddorn

Reply to
Kim Siddorn

So it ought to be Kim, as I haven't got round to finishing mine off yet, I have kindly allowed Len to 'borrow' some of the whirly oily bits wot make it go :-)) The S-T diesel is a rarity, only about 200 ever produced. they are definitely made up to a standard not down to a price, perhaps that's why the were so expensive!

Regards

Philip T-E

Reply to
philipte