Astle Park 1000 engine rally-please read this posting

Dear all, THE 1000 ENGINE RALLY IS DEFINITELY NOT CANCELLED AND WILL TAKE PLACE THIS WEEKEND,ALL WELCOME. I have been asked by a member of the management team of the 1000 engine rally to post this information as they are getting phonecalls asking if the rally is cancelled.It is thought that this story originated somewhere on the internet but it is not known where.If you hear this rumour,kindly disregard it as it is complete rubbish.Thanks for reading this and hope to see all of you who are attending at the weekend.

Kenny Williams pp The 1000 engine organisation team.

Reply to
woolseley

I feel that this rumour started when people are getting 1000 Engine rally and Astle Park steam rally (which is held in August on the same site) mixed up. The posts I have seen state the steam rally are not having stationary engines for some reason. Paul.

Reply to
Paul Swindell

Reply to
pixie

Pardon my ignorance, what's the FCVMA?

It seems to me that both rallies will lose out from this, but especially the 1000 engine raly as IMO it'll lose the broad appeal which it has had recently. That'll mean less punters, less interesting stalls, etc etc...

Cheers Tim

Tim Leech

Reply to
pixie

AIUI there is a threat of legal action by a chap called Boak, (I think) the Astle park organiser, if the 1000 engine rally allows steam. Please be aware that this is just some pub gossip so may not be totally correct!

Julian.

Reply to
Julian

That would be the infamous Simon Boak yor referring to. his company "the events office" run Astle Pak steam rally as well as a number of others such as Pickering Traction engine rally. All though I dont quite understand how he could stop steam appearing at the 1000 engine rally.

Mike M

miley snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com

Reply to
miley_bob

Presumably the site owners ( was/is a childrens' charity IIRC) have signed an agreement with him that 'his' rally will be the only steam rally there. He must have been bothered that the 1000 engine was becoming too popular :-(

Cheers Tim

Tim Leech

I think that's pretty much hit the nail on the head. AIUI Mr Boak isn't an enthusiast at all - just a business man.

Reply to
Julian

"pixie" wrote (Snip):-

Sad, but probably true :-(

Anyway, I won't be there. I love the rally but it is just too far for a day trip and too expensive to make a weekend of it on a regular basis. So plenty of photo's of the wierd and wonderful (not just the big and shiny) please!

Reply to
Nick H

Nick,

Apparently all the Weird and Wonderful will be in the Beer Tent at one o'clock with badges on, and how can you refer to us over weight and thin on top as big and shiny :-))

Come to Banbury and I will make you a cup of tea.

Martin P

Reply to
campingstoveman

"campingstoveman" wrote

Waiting for someone to come back with an "I resemble that remark" ;-)

Probably not, but if I do, it'll be Sunday as Helen is doing an RSPCA fete (substantially worse than death) at Pinewood on Sat.

Reply to
Nick H

J> I think that's pretty much hit the nail on the head. AIUI Mr Boak isn't J> an enthusiast at all - just a business man.

Time to go back to Tatton Park then? I must say Helen enjoyed that venue more than Astle thanks to it's other attractions (amongst other things she tells me it had rare breed pigs!).

nickh=== Posted with Qusnetsoft NewsReader 2.2.0.8

Reply to
nickh

And a more hard nosed, self serving, obnoxious person you are hard pressed to find, but that's just my experience 8-).

Greg

Reply to
Greg

G> And a more hard nosed, self serving, obnoxious person you are hard G> pressed to find, but that's just my experience 8-).

G> Greg

Sorry to be a pain Greg, but please make it clear where your quoted text originates. My post was about Tatton Park

nickh=== Posted with Qusnetsoft NewsReader 2.2.0.8

Reply to
nickh

I've just found this on the Traction Talk site:

I'm guessing that this is the man in question?

Julian.

Reply to
Julian

My apologies, it was Julian who said that he was just not an enthusiast, though I think the confusion started when you yourself seemed to allocate the statement to Tim Leech 8-).

In fact I think you should check your news reader settings as when you've replied to a message recently it hasn't included the name of the person who's message you are quoting, thus leaving someone else's name at the top.

Greg

Reply to
Greg

"Greg" wrote :-

You're right Greg, it was none too clear - blame the 'cut down' newsreader on my handheld! All I know about Mr. Boak is what I've read here,so I didn't want to appear to be criticising someone of whom I have no personal knowledge.

Reply to
Nick H

Yes I quite understand, I on the other hand do have personal knowledge but daren't explain it because as we've heard he likes to sue people...

Greg

Reply to
Greg