millmeece rally

Hi folks. I hope you have all had a good weekend, mine went rather well, i spent saturday at a small rally at millmeece. The weather was superb, we managed to get the lister L and N out together. At one point the N stopped with a dirty plug, just as i got up to see to it the L stopped before the N types flywheels had stopped turning, whats the chances of that! a good clean of the plugs and the points on the L and they were away again. We had a mooch around a bit later on and being drawn to the colour of rusting metal in the corner behind a shed, we found an aray of decaying pumps and steam related machinery, i spotted two rather large flywheels, upon closer inspection i saw two crankshafts attached, after a look round steve spotted the crankcase, and then another under all sorts of scrap metal. I made some inquiries and was told they are going to be installed on a concrete base outside the pump building, but due to lack of support this wont be happening any time soon, they're both complete and very restorable, they really should be sheeted up as the tinworm is taking hold. We also had a good look around the pump house, the engines inside are huge with flywheels the size of your average semi. They are fastinating to watch working its well worth a visit as the engines are in steam most weekends. Today, i managed to get my crossley blinking into the sunshine, after a bit of lubrication and freeing of the water drain taps and filling with water, away she went first swing,although not very well at first but after some adjusing and theres plenty of adjusters on it, it settled down and run very nicely apart from a slight knock on the big end. I hope to get it put on a better trolley and repaint it over the next few weeks as its been painted quite badly the wrong colour. Alltogether i've had a very good weekend. What have you all been up to?? Regards, Gary M

Reply to
gary millward

Pictures at

regards Gary M

Reply to
gary millward

Gary, You have just brought back an upsetting memory. About 20 years ago I went to the first rally at Millmeece, I was on my own as was a fellow exhibitor alongside. We agreed to take it in turns looking after both engines while the other went to the cafe. The other chap went first & I went when he returned. When I returned he told me that a farmer had just visited & had given him Free a running 3HP sideshaft engine. I had to put up with my Lister A for a few more years!

-- Dave Croft Warrington England

Dave Croft

I have spent most of the weekend increasing my Brownie points, something Gary that you dont have to worry about yet :-)), i've had a tidy up in the garage to make needed space for the Genset and this morning I went to Machine Mart at Peterborough to get a fixed steady for my lathe as it was VAT free day, had to order it as none in stock but saved myself a few bob. My wife and daughter decided we were going to have another cat and its been following me around as if I'm its only friend. He is not bad company I must admit. Not done much engine matters but will catch up next weekend.

Mart> Hi folks. I hope you have all had a good weekend, mine went rather

Reply to
Campingstoveman

Look on the bright side Martin. You now have a self cleaning mobile workshop rag.

Only joking

John

Reply to
John Manders