Rallies this weekend?

Once again I am looking for weekend entertainment - any comments on Wiltshire Steam & Vintage Rally at Rainscombe park or Whitwell Steam and Country Fair at Codicote (Herts)?

Nick H

Reply to
Nick H

In message , Nick H writes

gives some stats at the bottom of the page.

Codicote is just a few miles west of me here. I haven't been to Whitwell rally for a few years (as I'm usually on holiday at this time of year). I'll be there on Saturday, though, if the field's still usable after the dousing this area got during the last few days.

Reply to
Andrew Marshall

Nick,

I am attending Whitwell Rally, its my second year showing and is a nice little rally. Its on a different site this year, still south of Hitchin. The ground was checked yesterday and passed fit.

Reply to
campingstoveman

In message , campingstoveman writes

Excellent. For me, a good day out at Whitwell/Codicote will make up for having trogged all the way over to Leighton Buzzard last weekend, only to be told by the crew of a steam roller that it had been cancelled.

Reply to
Andrew Marshall

What might one expect engine wise and is there anything to keep Helen amused - 'farmer's market' type food stalls, craft tent, market etc etc?

Nick H

Reply to
NHH

Nick,

Ring, stalls, stationary engines, tractors, cars, craft tent, beer and me:-))

Mart>> Nick,

Reply to
campingstoveman

Reply to
campingstoveman

Why did you have to spoil it at the end? ;-)

nick H

Reply to
NHH

You meant "forget steam" of course!

Nick H

Reply to
NHH

No I forgot to tell you there is steam

Mart>> Forgot steam.

Reply to
campingstoveman

Well, I know what *I* meant ;-)

Nick H

Reply to
Nick H

Thanks for the recommendation Martin and Andrew and, despite my earlier comment, nice to see you both there.

Whitwell is what I'd call a good honest little rally. Probably 20 - 30 engines ranging from Lister D's to a Tangye hot-tube ignition job - I particularly liked a little Stuart 'R something' pumper fitted with an exhaust which looked as if it might have graced some 1950's lightweight motorcycle and emitted a very pleasant steady purr. Good display of tractors - we watched those and the classic vehicles go round the ring (perhaps the lack of a ring parade accounts for the low popularity of SE's with Joe Public?) and Helen was happy with the selection of market stalls - we came away with loads of plants, some curry sauces and a bottle of cider (natterjack apparently, but I don't know if it's made with real toads).

Nick H

Reply to
Nick H

Nick,

Glad you both liked it, it is their first year on this field so a bit untidy but otherwise a good hot weekend. Two more engines arrived today plus loads more public.

Martin P

Reply to
campingstoveman