Belts

I need a few V-belts or similar.
One should be of decent quality, for a small mill.
Another two should be wide, tough, and preferably cheap - they're for an old fashioned stair-climbing sack trolley, the type that
runs belts along the back rather than having three wheels.
The local machine supplier seems expensive, but I've seen a stall at a couple of big steam rallies that has a huge range. Am I likely to find such a stall at any random rally, or is there one particular supplier that attends the more popular ones ?
-adrian

What sort of belts are you after, flat , vee, ??? You're unlikely to find what you want at a rally if the length is critical. There's such a huge range that suppliers can rarely carry or stock everything. eBay is a good source of belts and suppliers. BTW, it's also a good source for bearing suppliers.
John

The mill belt is a vee.
The worn trolley belts are currently vees, but has flat pulleys so presumably they're not ideal. But it's really not at all critical as there's quite a bit of adjustment and no power transmission.

Yes, true, but the stall I've seen had a very fine selection. I wondered if there was a well-known supplier who attended these events, or if such a stall was common.

Good point, I'll look there.
-adrian

if its v belts you need then you will need the following dimensions top width of v ie10mm nominal length (the lenght of the belt if you cut it and laid it flat) ie1050mm so if you need a belt that is 10mmm top width and 1050 mm long then the size to quote would be 10x1050 - most good factors should be able to help with v belts - but for flat belts you can either use the traditional type or if their is one suitable- you can use a car type one , the measuring again is simple number of peaks x nominal length - ie a belt with 5 peaks and nominal length of 2000mm would be expressed as 5pk2000 . many of these 'polly v' belts are under the bonnet of most modern cars - i recon if you can find one long enough and wide enough , you could run it inside out - to drive small pumps etc - if you cant get fixed up let me know and i will see what we have in stock at work - julian