High temperature plastic gasket

Got a request for a food grade gasket that will handle ~250 deg. F and neither degrade nor get soft when exposed to alcohols like methanol and ethanol at those temperatures (goes between a window that looks into a reflux condenser on a still and its brass housing). I figured that sheets of that high temperature plastic that they use for modern spatulas that you can use in a fry pan and not melt would be a good place to start. But after some Google work which either gives me way too much or no information, I'm not finding what kind of plastic it is so I'm tossing it to you guys. Any suggestions what the material is called and where I'd find 1/8" - 1/4" sheet stock?

Thanks

Jim

Reply to
Jim McGill

I think that plastic is Teflon.

Reply to
Dave Lyon

Reply to
Mike Berger

Buna N, from what I remember. It's a man-made rubber with super qualities such as you mention.

Reply to
Wayne Lundberg

it is silicone

Reply to
Charles Spitzer

Go to a housewares department in Sears or such and get a "Silpat" which is a silicone baking mat good to 500 F.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

"Jim McGill" skrev i en meddelelse news:dlvkjo$odh$ snipped-for-privacy@nwnexus-news.nwnexus.com...

I dont know about alcohol, but plate heatexchangers made for milk pasteurisation use nitrile rubber gaskets.. Most of these heatexchangers are made for upto 150 deg. C working temperature.. Nitrile rubber is available as sheets if you find the proper supplier.. Look for companies that sells food grade conveyor belts

I have a couple of 4 mm thick, 450mm wide rolls of this stuff, but since I live in Denmark it may be problematic getting it to you :-)..

The supplier should know if it will work with alcohol or not... If they cant tell you, maybe someone at

will..

/peter

Gore makes some sort of compressible gasket material that works really well and should have no problem at your temperature. It's a fluorinated material of some sort I think, similar to Teflon. Not very cheap, though.

Reply to
Mike Henry

Jim, have you called the guys at Tap Plastics in Bellevue?

GWE

Reply to
Grant Erwin