Plastic Container solvent resistance ?

I am looking for some good plastic container to put in printing ink beside the metal can container. I know most plastic containers are made of PE or PP material but are there other better plastic material without reaction to ink solvent such as melt down or deformation. Do any members has any pointer on this. Thank You. Regards

Reply to
mowhoong

Rolf Wissmann

pense material.

Reply to
mowhoong

expense material.

Not sure what they use for 5 gal. gas cans - bottom of mine has recycling symbol 7 (other). Also not sure that ink solvents are hydrocarbons.

Reply to
Frank

Reply to
Rolf Wissmann

Rolf,

I'm not sure but the "other" plastic is probably a blend and could contain a barrier resin. While the solvent may not attack the plastic, permeation rate may be so high that the barrier is necessary. PE is extremely permiable to oxygen. For food contact a barrier resin like EVOH is often used. I recall that EVOH has about 1/1000 the oxygen permiability of PE.

There may also need for tougheners to maintain physical properties.

A broken 5 gal. container of ink could be a disaster to a small company. I'd be leary of a small producer that did not meticulously check the suitability of is product to be stored in a new container.

Reply to
Frank