Anyone help me identify unknown plastic?

I have not any luck elsewhere. I am sure there are some experts that frequent this newsgroup that perhaps could assist.

I purchased some quarter inch thick plastic sheet from a surplus store. They had it labeled as polystyrene, but I wouldn't trust that. I'm trying to identify it and am having difficulty.

I have gone through identification charts such as one at

The material is solid (ie not spongy like styrofoam), black, opaque, with a relatively smooth but not glossy surface. It is generally firm, but can be dented slightly on a corner with a firmly pressed fingernail. The sheet flexes but to break it requires pliers and a vise. Then it snaps leaving a rough edge.

It is a thermoplastic. I put a sample in boiling water. At that temperature it just begins soften slightly and can be bent slightly with fingers.

It floats but does not flame like PE or PP is described in the chart, so I hesitate to call it either. Expanded polystyrene also floats but would lead down the wrong path in the chart, so I'm not sure this is a good test.

When subjected to a butane torch there is an orange flame. The material itself never flames or drips. While exposed to the butane flame there is a dense black smoke with an odor perhaps like diesel. It just smells like typical burning plastic to me. Not acidic or rancid, etc.

After being exposed to flame, the burned material is charcoal like, crumbly and leaves a black soot like substance on hands.

It cuts nicely with a table saw as that is how I cut samples.

I tried ABS cement (MEK) and it stuck pieces together enough that they didn't fall apart but a firm pull separated them. There was no welding or fusing of the pieces.

Ultimately I would like to know what this is so I can determine if there is a good adhesive or if I need to use fasteners. Also knowing what it is and its properties helps determine what projects it can be used for.

Any assistance is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Reply to
Al

Polystyrene gives off a distinct styrene odor at freshly broken edges. Sounds like you have polystyrene. Frank

Reply to
Frank Logullo

Thanks for your reply.

I had ruled out polystyrene based on the fact it would not continue to burn and would not drip. Is this not correct?

I just tried a sample. I wouldn't describe it as a particularly str>

Reply to
Al

I don't believe so. Probably depends on what it is compounded with. Black material could have anything in it like fillers and rubber tougheners. Wife broke a towel bar last week. I was hoping it was acrylic but would not glue with acetone. Broke it and smelled styrene. Replacement bar from hardware store was labeled PS. Look around your house for something you can break with the PS recycling symbol and break and smell. Odor is distinctive. Frank

Reply to
Frank Logullo

Hi, Al Could it be slightly plasticised pvc? (Even so-called rigid material contains some plasticiser) This would exhibit some of the properties that you suggest. To check, get a piece of copper wire, one of the strands of an electric cable is ideal. Heat in a flame till it glows red hot. Plunge the red-hot end into your plastic sample. Reintroduce the wire into the flame. If you see a green colour in the flame, then you have pvc. Regards, Bill

Reply to
Bill

Polystyrene has horrible resistance to nonpolar solvents. It will quickly dissolve in room temperature gasoline, heptane, paint thinner, ...

Polyethylene and polypropylene are also soluble in a these same solvents, BUT the solvent needs to be heated to a fairly high temperature.

John

Reply to
John Spevacek

We have a winner.

There is definitely the green flame you describe. I tried some PVC solvent cement containing tetrahydrofuran. It will bond 2 pieces.

Thanks for every>Hi, Al

Reply to
Al

But - didnt you say it floats? Normal PVC will sink :-\ All the best Ian Macmillan

Reply to
Ian Macmillan

It does float. I suspect it is somewhat expanded, if that is the correct terminology. It is definitely a softer material than PVC plumbing tubing for instance.

Reply to
Al

Hey, Al, Glad you identified the material, at least. In terms of floating, there are two possibilities - PVC does indeed have a density greater than 1 - around 1.37 if I remember, correctly - but as you say, it is possible to make "structural foam" with pvc. This material is used in the UK for making building products, for example "window board" which is used for surfacing window cills, and also barge boards on the gable ends of houses. My own house uses this material in this application. I am pretty sure that Marley and Key Terrain sell this material in the UK - one trade name is Celuform.

The other possibility, and I'm sure that you have taken care of that, is that there is a small quantity of air adhered to the surface of your sample, due to surface tension. If this is the case, a quick solution is to add a small quantity of household detergent to the water. It will reduce the surface tension sufficiently to remove any adhered air bubbles.

HTH & Regards, Bill

Reply to
Bill