Better than STERNO

I have used STERNO when camping or hunting for years. About a dozen years back I discovered a better product than STERNO for about one
tenth the cost. My local Sam's Club sells a hand sanitizer under their Maker's Mark label. A two liter jug of this with a hand pump sells for as low as $5.50 when it is on sale. It has a built in hand pump and I always have one in the shop. I started using this as a substitute for STERNO when I was packing for a fishing trip and discovered I was out of STERNO. I remembered reading the label on the hand sanitizer and it said it was 70% Ethyl Alcohol so I tested it and it definitely burned hot. I have since started filling empty STERNO cans with this and it works great. I know it is a hotter fire than STERNO (A friend has an InfraRed thermometer and we did comparison tests with STERNO vs the hand sanitizer and the sanitizer burned a lot hotter) and it has a pleasant smell. My only PROBLEM with it is that the flame is almost invisible. Do any of you have an idea of something that could be mixed in with the hand sanitizer that would make the flame more visible? When I am the only one in the area when I am using this I am not worried however I would hate to see some other person accidentally get burned. Just to keep this on topic I will mention that I have used this in small soldering projects when their was no electricity available for my soldering iron.
DL
TwoGuns wrote:

Here's a start:
http://www.sciencecompany.com/sci-exper/flamecolors.htm

Dissclaimer on thier Sodium Chloride-
"Sorry, we regret we are unable to ship chemicals outside of mainland USA and Canada. Hazardous chemicals and chemicals restricted to ground-only shipping, may not be exported out of the USA."      I didn'y bother checking but I suspect they have the same note on the Di-hydrogen Monoxide.
H. :)
On Mon, 27 Dec 2010 11:41:56 -0800 (PST), TwoGuns
Hotter than Sterno -- is that like bigger than a neutrino? <g> If your cooking involves more than heating cans of Dinty Moore get yourself one of these: http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/35241?piQ5260&qs012739-Google_Base&subrnd=0
--
Ned Simmons

Easier by what criteria? A 123 is almost twice as heavy as a Whisperlite.
--
Ned Simmons

C4, aka semtex,is a nice solid fuel with smokeless and nearly colorless flame for heating rations or making tea.
On Tue, 28 Dec 2010 00:57:18 -0600, Don Foreman

Right. Just don't try to put it out with a hammer.
-- Make the best use of what is in your power, and take the rest as it happens. -- Epictetus
Larry Jaques wrote:

WIMP!!! ;-)
--
For the last time: I am not a mad scientist, I'm just a very ticked off
scientist!!!

    What does C4/semtex look like?
    I remember white cubes which were provided as the fuel for a kid's model steam engine. I never knew what they were, and no longer have the steam engine, so it does not matter -- but could something like semetex have actually been provided with a toy back in the early 1950s?
    Enjoy,         DoN.
--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
DoN. Nichols wrote:
(...)

Esbit?
http://www.esbit.de/index.php?idy
--Winston

    That could be it. Packaged differently since the early 1950s. :-)
    Where I lived at the time I was not able to get more fuel for the steam engine. I do seem to remember that it was made in Germany, but that could be wrong.
    Thanks,         DoN.
--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail

Probably hexamine. High nitrogen content, lots of heat, burns clean, no ashes. Still used for fuel tablets, check ebay.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hexamine
Best -- Terry

The tabs are kind of pricey from the usual camping/mountaineering supplies, but you can buy bags of hexamine and press your own with a homemade tabletting press (similar to a cheese press) for about $3.00 per pound. Or, it can be melted (hotter than wax) and just poured into moulds.
Hexamine is a flammable subtance, but not otherwise regulated as HazMat. We use it as a low-energy fuel in compositions that must burn cleanly and cool.
LLoyd

    Thanks! Likely correct -- and likely to be the German pre-packaged stuff from the article which I just answered (and whose name I've forgotten already. :-)
    Thanks,         DoN.
--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
DoN. Nichols wrote:
(...)

Esbit, DoN. Esbit. :)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Esbit
<http://www.modelengines.com.au/retail_catalogue_27_page/W00100_item.html
http://109.228.2.28/d.asp?product=ESBIT20X4
--Winston

    [ ... ]

http://www.google.com/images?hl=en&source=imghp&biw 80&bihR8&q=semtex&gbv=2&aq=f&aqi=g10&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=
    O.K. Not the white fuel blocks which I was remembering.
    I sort of figured that you would have an answer to my question.
    Thanks,         DoN.
--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail

I bought one of those years ago since my Tranglia alky burner really didn't get it.
I REALLY should have read the instructions as I set my kitchen counter on fire when testing it. No real damage since I had a fire extinguisher at the ready but it was a real chit your trousers moment.
TwoGuns wrote:

(...)
I made a little stove out of two tuna cans soldered together (top to bottom) with a 1.5" hole in the top. Hardware store alcohol works great and it is cheap. http://www.acehardwareoutlet.com/productDetails.aspx?SKU 04254
(3.79 for two liters)
--Winston

Winston, if you haven't already, look up the "Penny Stove". You can get a lot more energy and fuel efficiency out of alcohol when it's run at the proper gas pressure.
The little Penny Stove will boil a pint cup of water in about five minutes on a couple of teaspoonsful of alcohol.
LLoyd
On Mon, 27 Dec 2010 15:38:13 -0600, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"

One of these works for day-long power outages here, along with LED booklights. http://tinyurl.com/2v3hdqr
And I got an alcohol stove (SVEA Swedish mess kit) off eBay a couple years ago. http://www.digihitch.com/review69.html
-- Make the best use of what is in your power, and take the rest as it happens. -- Epictetus