Better than STERNO

I have used STERNO when camping or hunting for years. About a dozen years back I discovered a better product than STERNO for about one tenth the cost. My local Sam's Club sells a hand sanitizer under their Maker's Mark label. A two liter jug of this with a hand pump sells for as low as $5.50 when it is on sale. It has a built in hand pump and I always have one in the shop. I started using this as a substitute for STERNO when I was packing for a fishing trip and discovered I was out of STERNO. I remembered reading the label on the hand sanitizer and it said it was 70% Ethyl Alcohol so I tested it and it definitely burned hot. I have since started filling empty STERNO cans with this and it works great. I know it is a hotter fire than STERNO (A friend has an InfraRed thermometer and we did comparison tests with STERNO vs the hand sanitizer and the sanitizer burned a lot hotter) and it has a pleasant smell. My only PROBLEM with it is that the flame is almost invisible. Do any of you have an idea of something that could be mixed in with the hand sanitizer that would make the flame more visible? When I am the only one in the area when I am using this I am not worried however I would hate to see some other person accidentally get burned. Just to keep this on topic I will mention that I have used this in small soldering projects when their was no electricity available for my soldering iron.

DL

Reply to
TwoGuns

Here's a start:

Jim Stewart

Dissclaimer on thier Sodium Chloride-

"Sorry, we regret we are unable to ship chemicals outside of mainland USA and Canada. Hazardous chemicals and chemicals restricted to ground-only shipping, may not be exported out of the USA." I didn'y bother checking but I suspect they have the same note on the Di-hydrogen Monoxide.

H. :)

Reply to
Howard Eisenhauer

Hotter than Sterno -- is that like bigger than a neutrino? If your cooking involves more than heating cans of Dinty Moore get yourself one of these:

Ned Simmons

(...)

I made a little stove out of two tuna cans soldered together (top to bottom) with a 1.5" hole in the top. Hardware store alcohol works great and it is cheap.

(3.79 for two liters)

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

Winston fired this volley in news:ifb0ee0r65 @news7.newsguy.com:

Winston, if you haven't already, look up the "Penny Stove". You can get a lot more energy and fuel efficiency out of alcohol when it's run at the proper gas pressure.

The little Penny Stove will boil a pint cup of water in about five minutes on a couple of teaspoonsful of alcohol.

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

One of these works for day-long power outages here, along with LED booklights.

And I got an alcohol stove (SVEA Swedish mess kit) off eBay a couple years ago.

-- Make the best use of what is in your power, and take the rest as it happens. -- Epictetus

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Larry Jaques fired this volley in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

or three discrete "stops" in the adjustment; and no, you can't 'trim' them).

They also are so affected by even a light breeze, that they're just about unusable anywhere but indoors or inside closed-up tent.

I have a couple for indoor power emergencies, but don't really like them.

OTOH, I have a little Chinese two-burner butane stove I got from a Haitian importer friend, and it's about the dandiest little miniature stove you could want. It tunes to anything from a roar to a bare simmer, and the canned butane is sold by many ACE hardware stores.

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

Thanks, Lloyd!

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

"OTOH, I have a little Chinese two-burner butane stove I got from a Haitian importer friend, and it's about the dandiest little miniature stove you could want. It tunes to anything from a roar to a bare simmer, and the canned butane is sold by many ACE hardware stores.

LLoyd " The only problem with Butane or Propane is in extremely cold weather they will freeze up. I'm not sure at what temperature but I believe it is around 25 below F. I know it got cold enough to freeze my propane torch with a full 20# bottle in Alberta one night. It was around 50 below that night and the only thing that kept my truck running was a tray of Kingsford Charcoal brickettes under the oil pan. Thankfully my Cat engine was spotlessly clean or I would have caught the truck on fire.Of course very few people are going to be cooking outdoors or camping at anything below zero unless they are wearing a uniform.

DL

Reply to
TwoGuns

You might try putting a copper wire around the flame area (so it's actually in the flame), to see if it makes the nearly-invisible flame green.. which may not be visible in sunlight.

That's why alcohol burners are relatively unsafe compared to other fuels.

Reply to
Wild_Bill

I noticed that a can of sterno-ish stuff I have here called "power heat" is marked "unlawful in Pennsylvania".

It looks like the standard food service tray heater to me, but with a steel can, instead of aluminum.

What's the deal with PA and these things?

Reply to
Cydrome Leader

TwoGuns fired this volley in news:5abee347-16d5- snipped-for-privacy@l34g2000pro.googlegroups.com:

The both will freeze themselves up if the demand is too high, so the tank boils.

Propane starts to wimp out at about 0F, although it's useful well below that.

For butane I don't know the specs, but I have a butane palm torch that will not yeild a useful flame below about 20F, and it sounds like "nothing there" when you open the valve.

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

Kalifornification.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Cydrome Leader fired this volley in news:ifb8cd $97d$ snipped-for-privacy@reader1.panix.com:

Some states don't consider the ethanol in them sufficiently "denatured" to escape drinking (and taxing as liquor).

For that matter, some brands are NOT denatured in any way... just gelled. "Sterno drinking" is well known.

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

Easier by what criteria? A 123 is almost twice as heavy as a Whisperlite.

Reply to
Ned Simmons

Reply to
Louis Ohland

I don't think that's going to work with my pressurized alcohol stove. :)

Reply to
CaveLamb

C4, aka semtex,is a nice solid fuel with smokeless and nearly colorless flame for heating rations or making tea.

Reply to
Don Foreman

Just make your own:

Cheers! Rich