Water carry from quench tank

I was recently in Italy where my company bought a new extrusion line from SIMA. We test ran the new line and I was amazed that there was no water carry out of the quench tank with this line. Absoluely none, even before the filaments passed over a de-watering vacuum device. We have a very similar line in the US and we have tons of water carry problems. By the way, the materials were identical. We shipped them over to Italy.

I took some of the quench water back home with me to test alongside our plant cooling water. Main differences were: SIMA water was hard with conductivity of 460. Our water is soft with conductivity of

1400. Of course our soft water contains more sodium than the SIMA water--272 mg/L compared to 19 mg/L. Our water was considerably more basic--PH 9.18 compared to SIMA's 7.8. And our water is treated with various biocides.

Does anyone have any idea why there is such a huge difference in water carry over?

Thank you,

Bob

Reply to
robre