Shermans in Italy

I'm putting the finishing touches on the DML M4A1 Sherman in two tone OD and
yellow-tan scheme for a tank in Italy.
What colors were the stars on these vehicles- yellow or white? Did they use
the circle surrounds as well?
Reply to
Viperdoc
: I'm putting the finishing touches on the DML M4A1 Sherman in two tone OD and : yellow-tan scheme for a tank in Italy. : : What colors were the stars on these vehicles- yellow or white? Did they use : the circle surrounds as well? : I do not think yellow markings survived Africa, but there could have been some very early Shermans that survived Africa and then survived Italy. It did happen. However, those tanks would most likely have the narrow mantlet, which the DML kit does not have, IIRC.
I doubt, however, that any Italian Shermans kept the white star or surround _on the sides/front_, as they made for great aming points.
I think the only tanks that routinely wore the white surrond were the highly paranoid M-24 crews. :-) "No, really, we are Amerikans, ja!".
Bruce
Reply to
Bruce Burden
I imagine a lot of the white markings got aged enough with dust and sun exposure that they would look yellow.
Pat
Reply to
Pat Flannery

Site Timeline