Shermans in Italy

I'm putting the finishing touches on the DML M4A1 Sherman in two tone OD and yellow-tan scheme for a tank in Italy.

What colors were the stars on these vehicles- yellow or white? Did they use the circle surrounds as well?

Reply to
Viperdoc

Viperdoc wrote: : I'm putting the finishing touches on the DML M4A1 Sherman in two tone OD and : yellow-tan scheme for a tank in Italy. : : What colors were the stars on these vehicles- yellow or white? Did they use : the circle surrounds as well? : I do not think yellow markings survived Africa, but there could have been some very early Shermans that survived Africa and then survived Italy. It did happen. However, those tanks would most likely have the narrow mantlet, which the DML kit does not have, IIRC.

I doubt, however, that any Italian Shermans kept the white star or surround _on the sides/front_, as they made for great aming points.

I think the only tanks that routinely wore the white surrond were the highly paranoid M-24 crews. :-) "No, really, we are Amerikans, ja!".

Bruce

Reply to
Bruce Burden

The concensus seems to be:

White, and, Yes.

Reply to
Bill Shatzer

I imagine a lot of the white markings got aged enough with dust and sun exposure that they would look yellow.

Pat

Reply to
Pat Flannery