Questions on UP two tone gray for Steam Engines

I am trying to paint a 4-8-4 Union Pacific in the two tone gray scheme and would appreciate more information on the colors (Floquil reference

- I found the UP mist gray) and pointers to pictures.

1) What is the reference for the second tone of gray?

My understanding is that the yellow stripes were painted in the traditional UP Armour Yellow color.

2) I am also wondering about the chassis, drivers and pilot wheels on those big Northern engines: Was it glossy black paint or a more mate (dull) finish. From certain pictures, it seems it is rather glossy.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks Yves

Reply to
Yves

The late Terry Metcalfe's "Union Pacific Modeler Vol. 4" includes the following comments in a review of the Rivarossi FEF: The first version of the "Overland" scheme features Light Gray (Dupont

83-8234) and Dark Gray (Dupont 83-8235) with silver-ray pinstripes and lettering with black edging, as shown on a UP drawing dated 12/26/46. Since the locos were often hauling yellow "Streamliner" cars, it was thought yellow would look better than silver, and the UP drawing was revised on 6/2/49 to specify Armour Yellow stripes and lettering. Only the last FEFs to be repainted in the Overland scheme received the yellow version. The Overland scheme was abandoned in 1952 and all the FEF were then painted black.

Dubin's "Pullman Paint and Lettering Notebook" lists the dark gray applied to Overland passenger cars as Pullman code 70-14, and the light gray as

70-15, and he comments that the 70-14 is the same as New York Central dark gray. On his SP Lark diagram, he notes the light gray as Dupont 88-8234 and the dark gray as Dupont 88-8235; this suggests using SP Lark light and dark gray would also be appropriate. Geezer
Reply to
Geezer