I am trying to paint my UP FEF-3 4-8-4 O scale model, as the famous 844
engine in two-tone gray.
Pictures of this engine are hard to find, because it has been repainted
recently in black and silver scheme. I was able to locate a single
picture of the 844, by night, in its two tone gray dress.
I have a few questions (sorry if they seem so obvious):
1) Were the rear of the elephant ears painted in black or dark gray?
2) Was the smoke box door painted in Silver or light gray?
3) Cabin roof, main stack and sand dome look very dark. Was it dark
gray or the black used on the entire chassis?
4) Drivers: Were they painted black or was it some other color?
5) Front lights: Apparently, the top light is a red light (probably
used when the engine was reversed) and the bottom light is the
traditional headlight. Was this engine equipped with Mars Light?
Any help or pictures pointers would be very welcome, as I am having a
hard time finding exactly how this engine was painted, during that era.
Thanks in advance.
- posted 15 years ago