Metal Color/Shades on Robocop

Hey all,been spritzin; on my Robocop for a week,I used steel color as primary coat,from all pictures from Robo,the body shell looks smoother than steel,was thinking of a overcoat of light glossy gray to tight ti togeather,blend it in.Any ideas?,The box the model came in the figure is painted SILVER!!!!,yuck,looks tacky.

Reply to
teem

It's been a while since I saw it but didn't he have a bit of a blue tint?

Reply to
eyeball

I would spray it a good "metalizer" color of steel....something with a very fine grain, and that can be polished. You might even want to paint the "shadow areas" in a slightly darker shade. Try to give the entire piece, an overall semi-gloss finish. *Then*...make sure that any areas that would be in shadow, have a *matte* finish. Save the highly-polished, high gloss, surfaces, *only* for areas that would be highlighted (i.e. the top of the shoulders, the top of the head, the highest spots on the torso, etc.). In this scale, it is next to impossible to replicate the metallic finish of the original, unless one also replicates the effect of light falling on the original.

Reply to
Greg Heilers

Your remark about gray...suggests a technique that you might not have even considered.

Examine the following figure, by our friend, the great Rick Rutter.

He used *no* metallic paints on it. All of the armor was painted using yellows, oranges, browns, etc.; as well as carefully placed shadows and highlights. Perhaps you can use this technique on RoboCop. Remember, in any photo you see of a highly-polished natural metal aircraft, or a highly-chromed automobile, etc....consider that there are *no* metallic pigments in the printing of that photo!

:o)

Reply to
Greg Heilers

I did Robocop figure some years back. I used a base coat of polished steel (Alclad) with a light mist of a transparent blue (Tamiya). Then some more drybrushing to highlight the armor. It came out glossy and I think it matched the color from the first movie rather well.

Reply to
Randy Fuller

Reply to
teem

Reply to
teem

Yeah, the big Horizon one all right. I'll get a pic out to you if you'd like to see it.

Reply to
Randy Fuller

Oooooooooh!!

Hark at her!.....the big girls blouse>

Reply to
jraah

On my Robocop,

I used flat black as a base coat. After that I dry brushed all of the armor with silver then sealed it. When the seal had dried, I did a thin wash with clear blue, you cant see it in the pick to well but it came out pretty good. Then I did a high gloss clear coat on all of the shiny surfaces and finished the face last. Keep in mind I didn't want it to look exactly like all the other Robocop kits I had seen, I was going for that used and abused look, not shiny and new.

-Dave

-----

"I used to have a handle on life - but it broke"

Reply to
dbpbandit

Reply to
teem