Lubricant for plastic on metal

I have some cheap electrical pushbutton switches that are showing signs of wear on the plastic moving part. Also, plastic "dust" is fouling the contacts. Would heavy lithium grease, mainly because I have lots of it already, be a good candidate here after cleaning?

Also read this while Googling;

"I think this is an area of rapidly diminishing returns. The difference between a good lubricant, a better lubricant, and the best lubricant is trivial compared to the differences between lubricated and unlubricated"

Reply to
oparr

" snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com" fired this volley in news:8b2421c6- snipped-for-privacy@19g2000yqu.googlegroups.com:

The cheap styrene buttons rubbing on a poorly machined switch barrel are the problem. Lubrication does little good when there are burrs and other defects scraping the moving parts.

Were I to make one from scratch, the barrel would be reamed, and the buttons made of polypropylene or HDPE.

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

I'd use spray silicone lube. Grease will just attract dirt.

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

Silicone spray is what i'd be using.

Reply to
RBnDFW

Actually, that's not the problem >

Reply to
oparr

" snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com" fired this volley in news:111dc70b- snipped-for-privacy@k17g2000yqb.googlegroups.com:

And that would be because the hole in the washer was cleanly de-burred, edges rounded, and sidewalls polished -- or not?

My underlying point was that cheap switches are cheaply made.

Buy some good escapement-operated push-push switches, and they'll last hundreds of thousands of operations.

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

Not really, it's cleanly deburred, however, the washer being so thin and the arrangement only centered axially by two springs, it wobbles, allowing the washer to "whittle" the rod while operating.

That's at least 54 years at 5 >

Reply to
oparr

Thanks guys.

Reply to
oparr

If the edge of the washer is thin enough or sharp enough that it's scraping away the plastic, it'll also do a good job of removing the lube. I'd expect grease to last somewhat longer than silicone in this situation.

Reply to
Ned Simmons

Me too. I may just subject >

Reply to
oparr
[about a switch with a wear issue]

Overkill kills the problem. Then the problem stays dead. Overkill is good.

Mass-produced microswitch mechanisms are inexpensive and very durable, and available with LOTS of actuator choices. Buy some, or get 'em from scrap equipment (every dead microwave oven has two nice microswitches in the interlock system).

Reply to
whit3rd

Overkill makes no ec>

Reply to
oparr

Some kind of metal sleeve around the plastic rod? Or, sand the metal washer hole, to make it smoother.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I have 175 of these switches to correct. Just adding grease (a 2 minute exercise) was sufficient to allow for 10,000 operations without any signs of wear or falling apart. A day vs night comparison to just

800 operations without the grease. Already have the grease, bought it around 14 years ago.

Sometimes, dirt cheap, made >

Reply to
oparr

I missed the moment where you wrote that you had a LOT of switches to correct. In that case, the dab of grease makes more sense. Thanks for letting us know how it worked out.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I like the outside-of-the-box use of CNC. Clever.

Reply to
Bob Engelhardt