Bob's Homemade Paper Cutter

It's a run what you brung kinda project. Took 6.5 hours to mill the top plate. Only took about 2 to make the bottom plate. It takes 28 minutes per run to cut ten sheets plus a sacrificial one. I jacked up the speed and cut them at about 17 minutes, but the quality went to heck.

Obvious a vinyl plotter would have been better and just feed it some velum, but this works and provides a really professional result.

... and I have this machine. LOL.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Neat. I've "made a sandwich" to cut thin brass and AL, never paper. BTW, your rapid speeds (G0) seem extremely slow. We need to get the production rate up or you'll never make money.

Thanks for sharing. BTW, who was the director of the movie?

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

I tried a simple hammer punch at first and I was very unhappy with the results. Probably my available metals. I wasn't sure how to go about making a stamping plate that would work. I dunno know though. The hammer punch was made from the driveshaft of an outboard lower unit.

I've got a hydraulic press. Maybe if I saw a stamping plate setup in operation I could figure out how to make one, although the way I picture it in my mind I would need to make three detailed pieces to make it work. Relief plate, guide/clamp, & punch plate. All three would need to have all buttons machined. I could write the code after some experimentation now in a reasonable time to cut each piece, but it takes a lot of time, and after my hammer punch experiment I wasn't sure I wanted to spend 6+ hours machining each piece. And I am thinking atleast the punch plate would need to be hardened.

This is a small project. I may never need to do any more of them after this job, but I will save the plates and the code(s) on a mem card with them. Ten years from now I'll look at the two plates and laugh about how silly I was to do it that way.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Yeah, the max I have set on my machine is 20 x 20 by 10 when you over ride that's as fast as it can go. Any faster and it has problems. My plunges are all running at F6. Like I said I ran over ride to speed that up and I got a spur cut on one row of buttons on the goto safe Z for some reason. I tried it three times, and finally I dropped it back. It was a very consistent gremlin. I slowed it back down and the gremlin went away. Its not spindle speed vibration. I was turning 10K in all runs.

I already made money. This is just fun. I'll make a couple more sets today while I am in the office paying bills. Then this afternoon I'll put them on the customer's phones.

The way its cutting I could probably make my pocket deeper and do them 20 or more at a time though. Doubling the plunge depth would not double the production time. I only need about 30 sheets total. I'm making some extras for the customer just because.

I missed that part. Who was it. ;^)

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Just FYI, I was also experimenting with making easily rough truing fixtures. The bottom plate squares to the table with a lip on the bottom each time I reattach it to the table. Then I just need to find my center and I am good to go. The top plate is also pretty consistent, but I made the screw holes to big. If I do another one, I'll go for very snug fitting screw holes and taper the top of the threaded hole on the bottom plate for faster alignment. I might even go so far as to taper the top of the pocket for the bottom plate. Get it close and snug up the screws for self alignment of the top plate to the bottom plate. It does that now, but the pocket and relief are square. Deeper pocket and taller relief would also have helped. If I'd had a piece of half for the bottom I would have done it that way. With the .375 I was paranoid about not having enough thickness to correct for mistakes. LOL.

My secondary goal was also to learn to make a fixture plate for the table that would have a self truing fence for quick square alignment. A short fence on both top and bottom and a bunch of threaded holes for cams and clamps so I could very quickly square a work piece to my cutting planes. Now I just need to order some 1/2 or 3/4 plate to make it.

Reply to
Bob La Londe