color question

Is underside white of what?

-Lasse

Reply to
Lasse Hillerøe Petersen

Uh! Um White? Unless your colour-blind it's red.

Reply to
Spencer

Sure. Gloss, satin or flat? Yellowish or blueish? Greenish? Grayish? British?

IOW, are we talking about an oyster white B-18 Bolo or OA-10 Catalina; a Victor or Vulcan nuclear bomber scheme, a B-47 or B-52, or something entirely different, possibly German?

My RAL fandeck has six (6!) different whites. FS-595B has more.

Oh, btw, remember to add 30% white to it, if you model in 1/72 scale! Scale effect, you know!

-Lasse

Reply to
Lasse Hillerøe Petersen

Usually, it's Dirty White...

Reply to
Serge D. Grun

Well...basically...it is "white", as there are so many variables involved, that a "proper" color is meaningless.

But, you might want to paint the subject a *very* light "dirty brownish" gray...and then highlight the panels with a "white".

Reply to
Greg Heilers

it's for the spinners on a very dark sea gray beaufighter.

Sounds like Matchbox. I just used Testors Flat White in the 10¢ bottle, err, probably $1.25 bottle now. Aw, that little square bottomed one. I used to annoy my friendly hs owner by asking him "how much are the 10¢ bottles now?" :Þ

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

LOL!

Underside white is a generic term for off white; or as previously stated a dirty white. No big deal. hth The Keeper (of too much crap)

Reply to
Keeper

you won't believe this, but yes matchbox and i used testor's

10 cent. what voodoo you workin there in pa, bill? some amish curse thing?

which must make it a shade darker then topside white!

Reply to
Eyeball2002308

we certainly have a creative group here.

Digital_Cowboy

and AWFULL sig lines? (g)

You don't state whose undersides we are discussing (leave that alone!) so I will assume you are referring to the underside white in the U.S.Navy 3 tone scheme of 1943. This started as a pure white, but with the effects of oil leakage, Pacific Sun, salt air, gun smoke smudges and general dirt it drifted very quickly. Most depictions of aircraft show an "off white" that looks a bit yellowed and grayed. Pure white would be correct for aircraft fresh out of the factory or a re-paint shop.

Bill Shuey

Reply to
William H. Shuey

actually bill, i later clarified that it was for the prop spinners of a extra dark sea gray beaufighter. bill b suggested testor little bottle white and it looks good. but thanks for the american version, i'll save it.

Digital_Cowboy

didn't you see the yank sign? (g) aintcha got no sensa humor?

i liked the build. it was pretty easy and looks like a thimble nose. i have an airfix for contrast.

Usually it's in the shade...

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Mad-Modeller