Slightly OT: Case 580C Backhoe fuel tank/water sump replacement

Hi all, and apologies for a slightly OT post - but there's been traffic
here about backhoes before and there probably will be again.
Our Case 580C backhoe has developed a pinhole leak in the water sump -
it's a low spot built into the fuel tank to allow water to pool and not
get sucked into the fuel pump/injectors.
Ours has developed a pinhole leak - and I was wondering if anyone has
experience with removing the water sump or knows if is it a molded- or
formed- in part of the fuel tank assembly. It looks like it should be
removable, but it's in a really awkward spot and I'd like to have
positive knowledge that it screws out before reefing on it and finding
out otherwise.
I'm currently draining the diesel out of the tank and going to attack it
tomorrow - maybe.
The manual does not mention replacing the water sump, but the
instructions for removing the fuel tank involve first removing the
engine, so if I can fix it in-place it would be really nice.
Thanks in advance for any information or advice -
Carla
Reply to
Carla Fong
They have some epoxy sticks just for fuel tanks. Only one I used lasted for at least 10 years on a bad seam joint. Was gasoline, but there is probably a diesel one also.
Reply to
Calif Bill
There are two part epoxy sticks for sealing gas tank leaks. Clean up the leak area with some sort of solvent like acetone, a vaccum applied to the tank (drained) via vacuum cleaner will stop the seeping. Slap on that epoxy after roughing up surface and see if that does the job for you.
Wes