OT Have you noticed the MSM is attacking Craig's List?

I have asked around for explanations, and the best I have heard is that Craig's list is driving newspapers out of business, and so the
news media is attacking back.
rec.crafts.metalworking:

Newspapers and magazines live or die by their advertising revenue - NOT their circulation.
--

I used to be an anarchist but had to give it up: _far_ too many rules.

wrote in

This is kinda like the post office wanting to tax e-mail.

Who do you think was behind the move (a few years ago) to do exactly that?
Besides which, most of the USPS money comes from bulk mailers (advertisers, billing, etc.) but they continue to raise postage rates for private citizens who supply only a tiny fraction of their business.
BTW, there's another postal rate hike coming May 1, 2009.
--

I used to be an anarchist but had to give it up: _far_ too many rules.

wrote in

I'd be delighted to pay 1 or 2 cents each for email, if the spammers did too.
"Eregon" wrote: Newspapers and magazines live or die by their advertising revenue - NOT

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Yeah, but their advertising rates are based on their circulation.

But when the advertisers quit advertising...
--
I used to be an anarchist but had to give it up: _far_ too many rules.

Correct...just as radio and television survive on advertisements.
If you want something for free or almost so, someone else has to subsidize it.
Entertainment, music, news, information....it all costs money.
Perhaps, but just a tiny fraction of what we are expected to pay for it.
Eregon wrote:

But their ad pricing is tied to their circulation numbers.
On Apr 23, 11:08am, " snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com"

http://www.lmgtfy.com/?q=craigslist+killer&l=1
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

I wouldn't say whether that's the papers' motivation, but it does seem that CL is really hurting them. Personal example: I used to advertise in the local paper when I had an apartment for rent. The last time I did that it was $50 for a 4 line ad, per week. The Boston Globe rate was even higher. Now I use CL.
Not a newspaper, but there was a local stuff-for-sale weekly (The Want Advertiser) that charged 10% of the sale price. It was big - maybe 100 pages, 8 x 10. They have just gone out of business, after 45 years (at least).
Bob

I haven't heard that. Ebay owns a piece and they are a bit left politically.
Wes -- In her book "Atlas Shrugged", first published in 1957, Ayn Rand warned us about the society we find ourselves in. We were warned.

Newspapers make a lot of money with classified ads.

Well they did, I think that is rapidly becoming a *former* profit center.