what kind of plastic is found in a modern printer ?

When my friends throw away a printer these days they give it me to = salvage for parts.

Any idea what kind of plastic a modern printer - say an HP laser = All-In-One type built in the last 2 years might be made of ? I've been = wanting to play around with making some "goo" from plastic and solvent = to prototype some parts. When I ask this I basically am talking about = the plastic used to make the main body.

I put some plastic sheeting - about 1/8 " thick - from one old printer = in a aluminum container overnight with some acetone and while it = dissolved the top layer of the sheets they pretty much remained intact. = I'm guessing I'll need to make some shavings from it in order to make = the goo. It did transfer a smell to my fingers that wouldn't go away for = about a day.

I also tried the acetone on bits of an old kitchen cutting board I had = and the acetone seemed not to make any dent in it at all.

Any comments ?

Reply to
Pogo

I-1-2 CEA